Ireland v England infringement after "Mark" kick

Ref-Ref

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
At about minute 72, England caught the ball in the 22 and called "mark", which was awarded.
England kicked quickly and it went about 40m down the pitch and bounced into touch.
As it was kicked the ref called that Ireland were too close (I guess within 10m and not retreating) and then blew his whistle.
Ref awarded an English Lineout at the line of touch.

Please can you explain how/why the ref made this decision?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
If it is the same incident I'm thinking of, an Ireland player touched the ball in flight and therefore green put the ball in touch.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes the ref was intially going to advance the mark 10m, because Ireland weren't 10.

But England pointed out that as the infringing Irish player had actually touched the ball, it was an English line out so please could they decline the extra 10m and take the natural advantage of the lineout throw, (and of course the gain on ground)

the ref thought for a second, saw the logic and agreed.

Ref-Ref

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Oh that makes sense, I didn't spot that

Thank you both

Yes the ref was intially going to advance the mark 10m, because Ireland weren't 10.

But England pointed out that as the infringing Irish player had actually touched the ball, it was an English line out so please could they decline the extra 10m and take the natural advantage of the lineout throw, (and of course the gain on ground)

the ref thought for a second, saw the logic and agreed.