Irish v Bath - Garner

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
Anyone else watch Irish v Bath - St Patrick's Day game? I thought Mr Garner had a curiously off day, almost as if he had had no sleep the night before. Often looked a little befuddled by what was going on, hugely reliant on his ARs, gave an odd (though subjective) decision on obstruction for one of the Bath tries and made an error in law by awarding Irish a scrum when they caught a restart and were immediately wrapped up in a maul. Bath held the player up, but Irish were awarded the scrum and Mr Garner specifically indicated (and explained) that this was because the wrap-up came immediately from a kick. It seems that he completely forgot the exception to the exception!

Anyway, I generally quite like Greg's refereeing (and particularly his insistence on S+S at scrum time which seems more definitive than most) but just thought he had an off day. Anyone agree / disagree?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Anyone else watch Irish v Bath - St Patrick's Day game? I thought Mr Garner had a curiously off day, almost as if he had had no sleep the night before. Often looked a little befuddled by what was going on, hugely reliant on his ARs, gave an odd (though subjective) decision on obstruction for one of the Bath tries and made an error in law by awarding Irish a scrum when they caught a restart and were immediately wrapped up in a maul. Bath held the player up, but Irish were awarded the scrum and Mr Garner specifically indicated (and explained) that this was because the wrap-up came immediately from a kick. It seems that he completely forgot the exception to the exception!

Anyway, I generally quite like Greg's refereeing (and particularly his insistence on S+S at scrum time which seems more definitive than most) but just thought he had an off day. Anyone agree / disagree?

It happens , Rolland made the same error Saracens v Toulouse not so long ago.

GG is a good ref, much better than me. An off day? Don't care, let the post match reviewers worry about that.

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
Oh, completely agree. Everyone has off days; was just surprised on this particular one as it was not a subjective (mis)judgment but an error in law which we don't see that commonly at the top level.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I though the obstructionthatwasn't was potentially game changing. Irish were rocked by that and lost composure for a while.

I also think he got it wrong

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
He had that up at Newcastle a while back. Looked like he had other things? pressure on him?

Not saying its easy of course, and he is a good referee