Is the county game dying?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Just heard the Cumbria v Notts, Lincs and Derby has been called off as the visitors can't raise a team!
A victim of a long league rugby season maybe?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Gloucestershire are playing Cornwall tomorrow at Cinderford. I don't think there will be any lack of passion there!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Somerset v Devon at Taunton, Likewise!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Gloucestershire are playing Cornwall tomorrow at Cinderford. I don't think there will be any lack of passion there!

Somerset v Devon at Taunton, Likewise!

Any of the Gloucester team playing in that first game? Of course not - the team is drawn largely from Hartpury and Cinderford, with a few out-of-county makeweights. And is there likely to be anyone with a public profile in the second? Doubtful - they'll be from Taunton, Dings and also from Cinderford and Hartpury. What on earth is the point of these games? If it is to give representative rugby and a chance to get noticed to up-and-coming players from the second or third tier of rugby, fair enough - but that answers Ciaran's question - it died long ago, at least as any form of spectacle.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Any of the Gloucester team playing in that first game? Of course not - the team is drawn largely from Hartpury and Cinderford, with a few out-of-county makeweights. And is there likely to be anyone with a public profile in the second? Doubtful - they'll be from Taunton, Dings and also from Cinderford and Hartpury. What on earth is the point of these games? If it is to give representative rugby and a chance to get noticed to up-and-coming players from the second or third tier of rugby, fair enough - but that answers Ciaran's question - it died long ago, at least as any form of spectacle.
Your definition of "spectacle" is rather limited. No, it is no longer of wide national interest, nor is it TV material. However it serves a purpose in giving representative opportunities at lower levels, and an England Counties team goes on tour to second tier countries. Players want to be selected, whether you are interested in it or not.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
One of the problems is that too many CBs are aglomerations, it is very hard to be passionate about NLD or Eastern Counties.
Whereas Cornwall or Yorkshire have heritage.

Secondly the format means that many counties get one home game three weeks after the end ofthe club season.
I am not going to trek to Northumberland to watch an EC team for whom I feel little connection, frankly, I am unlikely even to trek to North Walsham, nor would I expect someone from North Walsham to trek down to Cambridge or Bury unless they were a blazer or their son was playing

Thirdly only 8 counties are in division 1 and can lift the trophy.

Fourthly no Premiership or Championship players, and in the Shield if I remember correctly not even National league players.

If we have to have County rugby, lets have a simple knockout so every CB has a chance to get to Twickers and lift the cup. perrhaps with a Shield for those that lose in Round 1, so every CB gets at least 2 fixtures. With league rugby ending in April it does neatly fill May.

To fill the entry out to a full 32 teams you may want to include the Armed forces teams, or split Yorkshire into the ridings

Open entry to all players who want to play - though with the current structured season, Premiership clubs and those in the Championship playoff would have clashing fixtures. However, if this is meant to be a showcase for the semi pro game, excluding these is probably not a bad thing.

I can see the point of the age grade county game, as it give a route for boys - and girls - from smaller clubs to get noticed. Even though I am sure there is favouritism and predjudice in the selection process, just as there are in every other human endeavour. And pushy parents will ensure their darling joins the 'favoured' club to increase their chance of selection. However, I am not sure there is a better system.