Is this how urban myths are born?

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had my first 80 mins of the season on Saturday - level 10 match in the weeds - quite evenly matched for the first half, then the home side lost their way a bit and lost by 10 points. 3 :yellow:, 2 to the home team and one away for simple stuff like killing the ball in the 5m or high tackles. Teams gave me good feedback and everyone was happy. Job done.

In the bar I was asked why I had pinged one of the teams for early lifting in the lineout. It was, in fact, the second time they had done it, but I chose to have a quiet word at down time the first time. Next lineout, up goes the jumper, and was held in the air for what seemed like an age before the ball was thrown, so I pinged them. The player questioning me was sure that early lifting was allowed "on our own ball". It did, for a split second, put a shred of doubt in my mind. Thanks to a quick check of the law book,
19.10 (f) Jumping, supporting or lifting before the ball is thrown. A player must not jump or be lifted or supported before the ball has left the hands of the player throwing in.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Correct to talk to first then ping second.

One of the problems you get is that the throwers put one player up early, usually front jumper, opposition match, throwers put their man down, opposition follow, and as the opposition jumper comes down the throw is taken, usually to the back.

This then prevents the opposition putting up a man at the front to snaffle ball thrown poorly to the back...

If the opposition put a man up early, check the thrower is not dummying - stand at the back to get a view of this.