[Law] Italian Disallowed Try v France

dfobrien

Post Likes
Fan not referee, so forgive me if these are obvious.

The law on knock-ons states:

• The ball is not knocked-on, and play continues, if:
    • A player knocks the ball forward immediately after an opponent has kicked it (charge down).
    • A player rips or knocks the ball from an opponent and the ball goes forward from the opponent's hand or arm.

I would have thought the second of these clearly describes what happened when Penaud knocked the ball out of Zanon's hands. Zanon then fell on it and grounded it, so if there was no knock-on then it was a good try. Yet no-one batted an eyelid when the referee disallowed it on review ... am I missing something?

While I'm at it, as a new poster: (1) what on earth happened to the dictat about crooked scrum feeds - there wasn't a straight one all weekend, and (2) why does the referee not stop the clock when lecturing the front rows about how he wants them to scrummage BEFORE the scrum first sets - I can understand (somewhat) not stopping it for a reset, but why not in this case?

Thanks in advance for the information.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agree, not a KO and try should have been awarded. Quite clear in the PlanetRugby hi-lites but was it available to the TMO?

Squint feeds at the scrum? What's that? :shrug:

. . . . and welcome to the forum.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I will repeat my post from the other thread on this incident.

My initial opinion was that the referee had got it wrong because as far as I was concerned it was hit backwards and out of the hands of the ball carrier by the tackler and it should have been play on. However, in replay you can see that after the knock back you can see the ball definitely hit the ball carrier’s forearm before it hit the ground. Therefore knock on, correct call.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
There's a fuller discussion in my Italy/France thread