Japan RWC in person

nhughes

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Been here for a week and it's been great, the fans mixing with each other has been great fun. Fanzone in Tokyo is ok, it is in the wrong place as it is a mainly business district with limited space and bars in the immediate vicinity. The other fanzone I have been in was in Yokohama far better, it's in a big park so lots of room and facilities.

The Japanese people at the fanzones and games have been brilliant, so polite and helpful. It's really cool seeing all the jerseys out and about in Tokyo. The official merchandise shop is doing some trade, prices are reasonable enough. I wouldn't say rugby has taken over Tokyo but it's more obvious that there is something on than during the soccer world cup here in 2002. Bars that are showing the games are usually packed, beer prices vary a lot. 400 yen for a draft beer last night in Shibuya was pretty reasonable, some craft beers are 1800 yen a pint, Guinness is about 1000 yen. In the fanzone it was650 yen for a small can of heineken(200 yen in a shop) at the game it was 700 yen.

So I was at Scotland v Ireland, unreal support from the irish fans, vastly outnumbering the scots turned out a lot easier than I thought. Barnes had a decent game although he should have tmo'd Best's try. Really looking forward to Ireland v Japan on Saturday, it's going to be some occasion. 2 hours in the bullet train to get there and all reserved seats were sold out on Monday.

I am writing this on the bus from Hiroshima airport, only here for 24 hours then back to Tokyo
, if people have any questions I'll try and answer but so far this trip has surpassed expectations