Jumping player - ball in touch

iansimcox

Post Likes
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'd just like to clarify.

There is a video from our first team game yesterday of an opponent attempting, but failing hilariously, to be smart.

Black kicks a penalty towards touch
Red 9 is stood two yards in touch
Red 9 jumps and attempts to knock the ball back into play
(And the funny bit, Red 9 ends up knocking the ball further into touch and then falls flat on his face)

Now, assuming Red 9 had succeeded in knocking the ball back into play, I think it would still have been a Black line out because of the definition "The ball is in touch when it is not being carried by a player and it touches the touchline or anything or anyone on or beyond the touchline." - Red 9 counts as "anyone beyond the touch line"

Is that right?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hello,
In the iRB Definitions of Touch it says :[laws]Law 19 Definitions
A player in touch may kick or knock the ball, but not hold it, provided it has not crossed the plane of the touchline. The plane of the touchline is the vertical space rising immediately above the touchline.[/laws]Going on your description of the action - Red9 had he made contact with the ball before it crossed the plane of touch, would have been perfectly entitled to keep the ball in play. In which case - No touch - play on!

As it happened he touched the ball beyond the touchline, so Black throw-in as you suggest.