Kicker wearing Sunglasses

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
When I referee, I usually wear glasses with transitions lenses, so from a distance it does appear that I'm wearing sunglasses.

For context - wearing most contacts results in corneal abrasions, which I would only wish on my worst enemy. My lenses are also polycarbonate, so there's no real risk of eye injury - almost losing an eye as a youngster is actually what led me to get them, and I'm never switching back despite the cost.
I wear glasses when I referee as well, but avoid transition lenses for the sun glasses confusion!

I never considered the eye injury danger, but will check that mine are polycarbonate - so thank you for the insight.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I wear glasses when I referee as well, but avoid transition lenses for the sun glasses confusion!

I never considered the eye injury danger, but will check that mine are polycarbonate - so thank you for the insight.
I switched to polycarbonate after getting several stitches in an eyebrow - I landed face-first on a brick, the lens took the impact and the shard stabbed me but good.

Since then, I’ve had a lens pop out of the frame more times than I care to admit (happened even today playing basketball), but they’re not hard to pop back in.

Re: transitions - for me, they’re a must for rugby - I'm usually watching either sunrise or sunset from behind the wheel.