Kicker wearing Sunglasses

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Saw a photo recently where a player was lining up a conversion and was wearing sunglasses!
My assumption was they had borrowed them off the guy who had brought on the kicking tee.
It was a sunny day in winter so I assume the sun was low into the player's eyes.
Looking at the result it didn't affect the outcome but I guess it could have.
Got me thinking what I would do if it arose in any of my games.
I assume we wouldn't allow it.
Taking it a step further I guess you could get an app theses days to assess distance and windspeed!

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think if it was just a pair of standard sunnies then no. Low sun is part of the game and was/will be an issue for the opposition in the previous/next half.

However, we do have WR approved glasses now - well, goggles - I wonder if they could be tinted or reactive. I guess we may have to allow that?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Saw a photo recently where a player was lining up a conversion and was wearing sunglasses!
My assumption was they had borrowed them off the guy who had brought on the kicking tee.
It was a sunny day in winter so I assume the sun was low into the player's eyes.
Looking at the result it didn't affect the outcome but I guess it could have.
Got me thinking what I would do if it arose in any of my games.
I assume we wouldn't allow it.
Taking it a step further I guess you could get an app theses days to assess distance and windspeed!

I can safely assume this wasn't in Cumbria?

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I think if it was just a pair of standard sunnies then no. Low sun is part of the game and was/will be an issue for the opposition in the previous/next half.

Not that I see a stake in this either way, but just curious, why care?...What potential harm on the game does it have? (The opposition could surely do the same if they wanted, so it's not an unfair advantage thing, IMO.)

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Only allowed on a Blues Brothers themed tour when all kicks have to be taken in strict rotation according to tour number and stringent fines are levied for those who fail to sing one of the film's songs without full commitment, due respect or style :cool:

ETA must also take the full 90 secs to ensure the crowd can appreciate their full range of skills and exceptional charisma, perhaps even encouraging them to join in :cool: - This extra bit is obligatory for the front row and fines can be particularly severe for a poor show.

Last edited:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Not that I see a stake in this either way, but just curious, why care?...What potential harm on the game does it have? (The opposition could surely do the same if they wanted, so it's not an unfair advantage thing, IMO.)
For the simple fact that sunglasses don't fall under "approved equipment".

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can safely assume this wasn't in Cumbria?
My last game at Workington was in brilliant sunshine all through -at the end the shadows of players were 30m long with the sun just over the horizon at one end of the pitch. I did not bother with sun cream as the multi-multi-layered clothing protected most of the important bits.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
For the simple fact that sunglasses don't fall under "approved equipment".
Sure, but does that mean they wouldn't be allowed at any other stoppages before the game's over either?...e.g. at half-time while the team is circled around the far corner of the pitch.

I don't disagree btw, I think your point is fair. Just playing devil's advocate.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My gut reaction is no, not so much at a conversion where I’m not hugely bothered, but that’s only a stones throw from allowing at a penalty where we potentially revert to open play if there’s a miss and the kicker is wearing something unsafe

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My gut reaction is no, not so much at a conversion where I’m not hugely bothered, but that’s only a stones throw from allowing at a penalty where we potentially revert to open play if there’s a miss and the kicker is wearing something unsafe
Conversion charged down.....ball hits kicker in face!

Serious eye injury possible.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Conversion charged down.....ball hits kicker in face!

Serious eye injury possible.
Fair point. What about at a penalty kick for points? Obviously if missed, it's play on, so the kicker would need to ditch the sunglasses in haste, but putting that aside for a minute since technically true for the kicking tee too.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I guess goggles worn for the kick in driving rain would be ok. How about a baseball cap for sun glare?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I guess goggles worn for the kick in driving rain would be ok. How about a baseball cap for sun glare?

<sarcasm on>

Why don't we just let them wear whatever they want?
Mittens, parkas, sun parasol, maybe run around with a rucksack containing water, kicking tee, survival equipment?

<sarcasm off>

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
<sarcasm on>

Mittens, parkas, sun parasol, maybe run around with a rucksack containing water, kicking tee, survival equipment?

<sarcasm off>
Now that reminds me of a game I watched not long after I'd retired from playing probably around 2004.
A player who I'd played against for many years had come up with his club Tyldesley to watch his son play but was reluctantly roped in to play after a few cry offs. It was a freezing, windy Cumbrian day and he played the whole game in the centre with a wooly bobble hat on!
Couldn't believe that he managed to escape any one removing it in the whole game!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
This is exactly my initial thought.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Fair point. What about at a penalty kick for points? Obviously if missed, it's play on, so the kicker would need to ditch the sunglasses in haste, but putting that aside for a minute since technically true for the kicking tee too.
Im not convinced a kicking tee is a danger to eyes... ;-)

Last edited:

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Im not convinced a kicking tee is a danger to eyes... ;-)
Dunno - this color hurts mine...

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
You'd need sunglasses if you were going to kick off that!

Oh wait a minute:eek:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
<sarcasm on>

<sarcasm off>
Mittens (fingerless) & goggles are specifically allowed under law 4.3

Last edited:

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
When I referee, I usually wear glasses with transitions lenses, so from a distance it does appear that I'm wearing sunglasses.

For context - wearing most contacts results in corneal abrasions, which I would only wish on my worst enemy. My lenses are also polycarbonate, so there's no real risk of eye injury - almost losing an eye as a youngster is actually what led me to get them, and I'm never switching back despite the cost.