Kicking Ball in Scrum

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Debate in bar following U16 league match which I was watching from touch-line as parent.

Black team won quite a number of scrums against-the-head.

Observations from some of the Blue spectators after the game was that Black's "hooking" technique when non-striking team was to kick the ball forcefully against Blue hooker's shins and either "hook" the rebound or let it bounce through to the second row.

Ball wasn't kick-out of scrum! All other scrum laws seemed to be complied with (no-foot up, feet in a position to push etc.)

Blue spectator/parent: "When I played, this was against the laws! Don't know why the ref didn't ping-it"

When asked my view was that as long as the ball wasn't deliberately kicked out of the scrum it was OK.

Comments?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i wouldn't ping this. mainly because there's nothing to stop a strike on the opposition put in.

if a hooker can get enough of a boot to the ball to kick against the opposition, he's got enough to hook it back onto his side. besides, if he can get enough power (and accuracy) to deliberately play for the rebound, he's done very well!

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Sorry, what's the problem with kikcing the ball out of the scrum?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
there was me thinking it was illegal to kick the ball through the scrum...

another urban myth well and truly shattered? or was it just me who didn't know that. it's a good job i've not been reffing :)

Paully

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Ah, you learn something new every day ....the 7's variation prohibiting kicking out is different in the full version of the game! Thanks Davet.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Without looking it up in the LoTG it's a FK offence. And IIRC its a PK for repeatedly kicking it out.

I've seen this happen a few times recently - I'm sure by accident. So if it's not a problem if it happens by accident, why would it be a problem if it happened by design? :chin:

Last edited:

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes

I was thinking of ...

20.8(c) Kicking-out. A front row player must not intentionally kick the ball out of the tunnel in the direction from which it was thrown in.
Sanction: Free Kick

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I was thinking of ...

20.8(c) Kicking-out. A front row player must not intentionally kick the ball out of the tunnel in the direction from which it was thrown in.
Sanction: Free Kick
Irrelevant surely as he didn't kick it out of the tunnel. Strange wording though, does that law mean that it is ok to deliberately kick it of of the tunnel in the opposite direction from which it was thrown in? :Nerv:

We constantly get told that if the LoTG don't prohibit something, the general rule is that it is allowed. So no problem in my book - play on.

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Irrelevant surely as he didn't kick it out of the tunnel.

We constantly get told that if the LoTG don't prohibit something, the general rule is that it is allowed. So no problem in my book - play on.

I thought I had made it clear but para 4 of my first post should more precisely have read ...

"Ball wasn't kick-out of scrum through the tunnel in the direction it was thrown in by a front row player!"

As I said I personally don't see a problem with what Black were doing.

Was this ever illegal?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sorry, but this is getting confusing now? What "bloke"? :sad:

I know email travels slower when it crosses Offa's Dike, but do try to keep up taff :wink: :biggrin: :bday:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
You cannot kick the ball out of the tunnel, in the direction from which it came in.

If you want tio kick the ball forwards so that it bounces off the opposition and rebounds to your side, or so that it shoots rapidly out of the back of their half of the scrum - do it.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
You cannot kick the ball out of the tunnel, in the direction from which it came in.

If you want tio kick the ball forwards so that it bounces off the opposition and rebounds to your side, or so that it shoots rapidly out of the back of their half of the scrum - do it.

and if it is kicked out of the other end of the tunnel, play on?? [as opposed to going straight through in which case it is a reset?]

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Blue spectator / parent in post #1

I know email travels slower when it crosses Offa's Dike, but do try to keep up taff :wink: :biggrin: :bday:
I understand it now. Sorry everyone. :eek: Still reckon its "play on" though if it ricochets off the opposition and bounces back to your side. :D

and if it is kicked out of the other end of the tunnel, play on??
I still don't understand why it seems ok to kick it out one end of the tunnel, but not the other. :chin:

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
(i) Still reckon its "play on" though if it ricochets off the opposition and bounces back to your side.

(ii) I still don't understand why it seems ok to kick it out one end of the tunnel, but not the other. :chin:

(i) Agreed
(ii) Neither do I! Perhaps its to stop it being "passed" directly back to the scrum half.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
I understand it now. Sorry everyone. :eek: Still reckon its "play on" though if it ricochets off the opposition and bounces back to your side. :D

I still don't understand why it seems ok to kick it out one end of the tunnel, but not the other. :chin:

I think everyone agrees with this?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Of course if the SH puts it in and it rolls straight out the other side without touching anyone, even if it goes behind the far props feet.

Reset.