Knock on into touch

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Gave this yesterday and awarded a scrum or line option. Green took scrum, but I set it on the 5 metre line. Think I got it wrong........now feeling it should have been on the 15 metre line.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Scrum should have been where the knock on took place. If it was within the 5m channel, it should have been on the 5m.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Gave this yesterday and awarded a scrum or line option. Green took scrum, but I set it on the 5 metre line. Think I got it wrong........now feeling it should have been on the 15 metre line.

[LAWS]12.1 e

Knock-on or throw forward into touch. When the ball goes into touch from a knock-on or throw forward, the non-offending team will have the option of a lineout at the point the ball crossed the touch line or a scrum at the place of the knock-on or throw forward, or a quick throw in.
[/LAWS]
Also in definitions of scrum:

[LAWS]The middle line of a scrum must not be within 5 metres of the goal line. A scrum cannot take place within 5 metres of a touchline.[/LAWS]

So not a bad call. The 15m is for lineout stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Man I'm slow.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Clubs are still getting to terms with this one. Called three on Saturday. The home touch judge did not look happy and stood for a while indicating touch. I thanked him for his flag and explained the call to him and the players as I offered the option but he did not look convinced. The away TJ was more than "happy". The calls for the teams were "no-brainers" as we were by then uncontested at scrum time.

Last edited:

Ronald

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Took a while for them to get it here in SA at the beginning of the season too, worked fine towards the end. Don't understand the home TJ's problem, though, because even if it did go into touch, the 1st infringement was always the knock-on or throw forward, so in the past it would always have been a scrum for the non-offending team?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agreed. I think some don't like it is you don't go with their call. Ego.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Some referees over do it - one offered the option when a legal pass was missed and went into touch.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Thank God for smart captains.

The Home skipper on Saturday was a gem. I've reffed him for several years of his college rugby life, so he already knows just how far he can test me, and he stays on the right side of the line.

But he knows his law as well. Knock on into touch? I don't even need to say "option black?" as he just tells me "take the scrum thanks Sir". Ball kicked dead over the dead ball line? Same thing again. I think his referee management and overall game knowledge is worth several points a game to his team.