Knock On Question

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm not sure if this has ever been posed as a question before, but I was pinged on an assessment due to the following:
Off of a kick off, a girl went to catch the ball, it missed her arms/hands completely bounced off of her chest and went forward. I called it a knock on. The assessor pointed out (correctly) that a knock on had not occurred because it arms/hands didn't come into play.

The laws define a knock on as:

A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.
‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line.

This got me wondering:
Has anyone ever had a player (for what ever reason) intentionally knock a ball forward off of the chest? Would you ping them if they did? If so for what? I can't come up with a tactical reason why you would want to do this, but I'm curious about others thoughts.
Thanks

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm not sure if this has ever been posed as a question before, but I was pinged on an assessment due to the following:
Off of a kick off, a girl went to catch the ball, it missed her arms/hands completely bounced off of her chest and went forward. I called it a knock on. The assessor pointed out (correctly) that a knock on had not occurred because it arms/hands didn't come into play.

The laws define a knock on as:

A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.
‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line.

This got me wondering:
Has anyone ever had a player (for what ever reason) intentionally knock a ball forward off of the chest? Would you ping them if they did? If so for what? I can't come up with a tactical reason why you would want to do this, but I'm curious about others thoughts.
Thanks

Debliberately chesting or even heading the ball forward (i.e. as in Wendyball) is a legal tactic.

Take a look at this piece of brilliance by Francisco Bosch, an Argentine player playing for Manawatu in the New Zealand ITM Cup..

[video=youtube;bSv8anOp9aM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bSv8anOp9aM[/video]

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Without seeing it, it's hard to say, but generally speaking I apply the following......"you don't drop it, I won't blow it".

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Fair enough. I can just imagine the players and coaches complaining about it though.
Thanks

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Phil E:190539 said:
Without seeing it, it's hard to say, but generally speaking I apply the following......"you don't drop it, I won't blow it".
I like that, I'm storing that along with "its a judgement call, you judge it and I'll call it"

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've seen players pull their arms back and chest the ball down before when it has done a wicked bounce at the end. Play on and if anyone complains a quick smile and a chat on the run and all good.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Would anyone agree that if in doubt as to whether it was chest only or there were arms in there, you give the knock-on?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Would anyone agree that if in doubt as to whether it was chest only or there were arms in there, you give the knock-on?

other way around for me. I want to see the knock on as clear and obvious. BUT and this is a big BUT....refereeing has a big % of perception mixed in...if the whole park thinks it was a knock on...it's their game - not ours. that being said...case by case for me. cannot give you a blanket answer.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If it's an attempt at a catch that is dropped forward then it is pretty standard to call that a knock on. You won't get many queries, and if some assessor with more law knowledge than brains tells you different just smile and nod.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
other way around for me. I want to see the knock on as clear and obvious. BUT and this is a big BUT....refereeing has a big % of perception mixed in...if the whole park thinks it was a knock on...it's their game - not ours. that being said...case by case for me. cannot give you a blanket answer.

disagree ....The whole of NZ complained about Wayne Barnes, yet a ball 'passed' released sideways can travel forward [speed & physics says so] & Wayne was right !
Allez le blue