Knocked from grasp

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
This happened in one of last night's internationals, and I want to get an opinion, as I think the TMO got it wrong.

Ball toed through by attacking team. Defending player (Australia 11) picks up the ball a couple of metres out from the line. Just as the defending player grasps the ball, and attacking player (Italy 13) knocks the ball loose, and the ball is propelled towards the defending team's line. Another attacking player swoops through and forces the ball in the in goal.

TMO awarded a try to Italy.

My understanding of Law 12, with respect to the Law Clarification 4 - 2011, is that if the ball is ripped loose by a defender, then the ball carrier is not responsible for the ensuing knock, and is the responsibility of the defender. In the above case, in my opinion, it should have been a knock on against the attacking player.

Can someone point me to the reason the TMO awarded a try.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree maggie ...On slo mo I thought knocked forward by blue hand. All I could think was a concurrent touch by both players and tmo adjudged knocked back by gold. I think he was wrong. BUT to be honest it was a split decision and I wasn't too surprised the try was awarded as a benefit of doubt (i didnt even yell at the tele!). Lets face it, aust totally stuffed it from the previous loose pass and after that is was farcical so they couldn't expect any TMO favours for their own screw up.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree too that it was a Blue knock on.

I found it perplexing that the TMO looked at the inconclusive camera angles several times and the clearest he only looked at once.

Who was the TMO?

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Irish referee Marshall Kilgore.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I found it perplexing that the TMO looked at the inconclusive camera angles several times and the clearest he only looked at once.
But how do we know that? OK the BBC or whichever company will show replays and slo-mos but it doesn't follow that the TMO is watching the same clips as we get to see.