Kurtly Beale

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Professional sportsmen who behave in this way, if proven, deserve to be sanctioned severely.

On a personal level Mr Beale has a lot of problems, no doubt many related to his alcohol dependency, but the txt allegations show an immature lonely sad individual who needs some serious therapy.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think I'll cash in my WC tickets now. We'll be lucky to beat Uraguay.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Sounds like the initial gaff apology was accepted, but yet the data was retained for use on another day !!

I suspect that agent D is employed by the Kiwis .... :)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Can you remember when Rugby players went to RL or were doctors, teachers, policemen, surgeons, solicitors, in the forces or in some cases the Chairman of Heinz?

I can't wait for this current lot to retire then I can read their hilarious anecdotes about lying on their beds playing with themslves or molesting female hotel staff.

What a shower of shit!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,16024_9532027,00.html

" we intend to donate the $45,000 collected through this fine to a suitable organisation that promotes the empowerment of women"

stock-photo-angry-businesswoman-in-a-fist-fight-over-white-background-106055825.jpg

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The hearing provides more questions than answers.
KB's legal team made a 70 page submission to the tribunal alleging, in part, that
1. KB had not sent the 2nd (more offensive) text message.
2. The transcript of the texts provided by Di Patston, as part of her complaint, differ to those actually sent by KB

In relation to No.2 above, KB's phone was submitted for forensic analysis this week to prove that someone had altered the transcripts of the exchange of text messages (the texts in which Di Patston tells KB what she thinks of the original offensive text message/s and in which KB apologises to her). It is also alleged that some of those subsequent text messages were omitted in Di Patston's submission.

The question remains, who altered the subsequent text messages sent by KB?
Who sent the 2nd, more offensive, text to Di Patston?
Why didn't either Di Patston or Ewen McKenzie want to attend the KB hearing? It has been suggested that KB's legal team wanted Di Patston to attend and later, after he stood down, McKenzie as well.
Could any of the above unanswered questions and the impending KB hearing have influenced Ewen McKenzie's timing in stepping down?

I don't think ANYONE has come out of this debacle smelling of roses.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Player Power is big in the Land of the Bouncing Rat. The Brumbies players got rid of David Nucifora in 2004 (the same year that he coached them to a Super 12 title) because they wanted Laurie Fisher to be their coach. He promptly turned them from champs into chumps. In 2005 (5th), 2006 (6th), 2007 (5th) and 2008 (13th) they failed to make the play-offs.

Yeah, good move you Brumbies players; officer thinking that!

Beale is a nob; more trouble than he is worth

January 2007
Fined $1500 and banned from holding a licence for nine months for drink-driving while unlicensed.

July 2010
Fined $5000 by the ARU for urinating outside a nightclub in Brisbane

November 2010
Involved in altercation with Wallabies teammates Quade Cooper and James O’Connor in Paris. Reports of the alleged scuffle emerged nine months after the event. All three players attempted to play down its significance, although Beale hinted that tempers had flared between the trio.

June 2012
Accused of assaulting a bouncer at a Brisbane hotel. It was alleged Beale struck one of the security staff after he and teammate Quade Cooper tried to re-enter the Victory Hotel after being ejected on the morning before the Wallabies’ Test win over Wales at Suncorp Stadium, which he was absent from through injury. An assault charge was dismissed after it was settled during out-of-court mediation.

March 2013
Fined $40,000 and suspended indefinitely following a punch-up with Melbourne Rebels teammates Cooper Vuna and Gareth Delve. Beale and Vuna were sent home from South Africa on separate flights following the incident on the Rebels team bus following a heavy loss to the Sharks in Durban.

May 2013
Suspended for a second time in seven weeks by the Melbourne Rebels for breaching an alcohol ban. Admitting to drinking the weekend after his return to the Melbourne side, Beale was stood down for “breaching behavioural guidelines”.

June 2013
Beale is photographed by a fan with Wallabies teammate James O’Connor at a Melbourne fast food outlet at 3.50am just days out from the second Test against the British and Irish Lions. Beale and O’Connor attended the midweek clash between the Rebels and the Lions at AAMI Stadium and later joined players from both teams at an after-party in the city. After conducting a thorough investigation Wallabies management were satisfied neither player was drinking, and were merely in attendance at the party to support their Rebels teammates.

The following week the pair missed the team bus for training after sleeping in and had to catch a taxi.

October 2014
The ARU confirms its integrity unit is investigating an alleged episode of verbal abuse by Beale towards a member of the Wallabies management staff on the team’s flight from Johannesburg to Brazil. Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie also confirms that he missed the team’s training session on Tuesday to deal with the controversy

In the strength of that list, I wouldn't have him anywhere near any team I was coaching; the talent he has does not compensate for his inflated ego and the trouble he brings. Can anyone imagine Stuart Lancaster, Or Steve Hansen or Graham Henry or any of the Springbok coaches putting up with A pattern of behaviour like this?

IMO, Its only a matter of time before he starts trouble again. He's James O'Connor without the hairstyle.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I don't think anyone can defend Beale's past form.
Robbie Deans made a fair assessment of KB during the week when he said, "He's vulnerable to the company that he keeps. That's the key." ................
Putting KB's history aside for the moment, it seems to be a bit of a half arsed inquiry (yesterday's hearing) that concludes with more questions unanswered than answered. Will the ARU pursue this issue to find out who sent the 2nd more offensive text message? Will the ARU attempt to determine who "altered" the text transcripts allegedly sent from KB's phone? The answer to both is probably no. Bill Pulver is clinging to his position as CEO by the thinnest of threads and will just want everything to die down now.
Some will say Beale should have his contract ripped up while others will say he has been punished for each of his past indiscretions. Sentiment is definitely split on this but one thing is certain, the non-appearance of both Di Patston and Ewen McKenzie at yesterday's hearing paints KB in a slightly more "favourable" light than perhaps he would have been seen had Di Patston fronted to shed light on the irregularities on the transcripts of the texts. If she, or her legal representatives were present and were able to provide clear and damning, irrefutable evidence, it would be fair to say that Beale would be unemployed this morning instead of probably having a plane ticket to England sourced as we speak.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The sanction is a joke. He didn't learn from his $40k fine just 18 months ago, so another $45k fine isn't going to do a thing to 'change behaviour'. The inquiry was weak as p!ss not to suspend him or rip up his contract. He's a tool, a broken tool that can't be fixed, and needs to be thrown out of the tool box. How many chances is this clown going to get. It's not as if we haven't got equally talented backs to replace him.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Robbie Deans made a fair assessment of KB during the week when he said, "He's vulnerable to the company that he keeps. That's the key." ................

And that company was mainly Quade Cooper & James O'Connor

Well, O'Connor got shown the door, and AFAICS, for a lot less than Beale has done, and Cooper complained about the environment under Robbie Deans being "toxic". Well, if you were having to stick to a reasonably strict code of behaviour, when you wanted to act like a dick the entire time, then I guess it could have seemed toxic to him.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Another twist to the Kurtley Beale saga.... he's been dropped from the EOYT squad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29769524

Not sure that would be classed as a twist Ian considering his hearing was not scheduled to start before the squad flew out for the tour. He hasn't been dropped because he was never selected. It must be remembered that the charges against him were brought by the ARU (not Di Patston) and as such, he would have been ineligible for selection as part of the original squad. It must also be remembered that there are already four players on the tour who can play at #10 (Foley, Cooper, Toomua & Leali'ifano), three who can play at #12 which is where Cheika likes to play KB (Toomua, Leali'ifano & Godwin), and three who can play at #15 (Folau, AAC & Foley). Barring an injury to one of those players, it would be hard to justify rushing him onto a flight to join the squad. In fact the most likely player that Beale would be called on to cover if injured would be Folau.

Wallabies tour squad: Adam Ashley-Cooper (C-W-FB), Ben Alexander, Sam Carter, Quade Cooper (#10), Tom English (W), Saia Fainga'a, Tetera Faulkner, Israel Folau (W-FB), Bernard Foley (#10-FB), Will Genia, Kyle Godwin (C), James Hanson, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, Michael Hooper (capt), Rob Horne (C-W), James Horwill, Luke Jones, Sekope Kepu, Tevita Kuridrani (C), Christian Leali'ifano (#10-#12), Josh Mann-Rea, Ben McCalman, Sean McMahon, Nick Phipps, Benn Robinson, Rob Simmons, Will Skelton, James Slipper, Henry Speight (W), Joe Tomane (W), Matt Toomua (#10-#12), Nic White.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
OK.

I had heard that Michael Cheika was keen to add him to the tour squad, but that hasn't happened.

I wonder why? Was he pressured not to?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
OK.

I had heard that Michael Cheika was keen to add him to the tour squad, but that hasn't happened.

I wonder why? Was he pressured not to?

I don't think Cheika would have been pressured not to. He was informed, following the hearing by the ARU, that KB was again eligible for selection.
I think Cheika is a pretty smart cookie. He certainly has the respect of the Waratahs players and he seems to be pretty good when it comes to player management. I think you will find that Cheika would have spoken to KB prior to leaving with the advice to keep training under the watch of Darryl Gibson in case there were injuries during the tour. He would have told him to stay out of the limelight and just take some time out to get his head straight.
Cheika would be fully aware of the public's current perception of KB and knows that the last thing the Wallabies need at the moment is to have the focus of the touring squad distracted by having KB rushed into the squad and all of the media frenzy that would attract.
Cheika was really pissed off with McKenzie's reasoning for leaving Will Skelton out of a couple of tests "due to his level of fitness". As Cheika said, Skelton had been in camp with the Wallabies and under the direction of the Wallabies coaching staff. Who's fault is it if a test player's fitness is not monitored and maintained whilst in Wallabies camp?
Don't worry, Cheika will know exactly how KB is travelling and dealing with the wash-up of the last couple of weeks but he has FA time to get familiar with a new squad with a game next week against the Barbarians (AB's 2nd XV) and then four test matches.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I don't think Cheika would have been pressured not to. He was informed, following the hearing by the ARU, that KB was again eligible for selection.
I think Cheika is a pretty smart cookie. He certainly has the respect of the Waratahs players and he seems to be pretty good when it comes to player management. I think you will find that Cheika would have spoken to KB prior to leaving with the advice to keep training under the watch of Darryl Gibson in case there were injuries during the tour. He would have told him to stay out of the limelight and just take some time out to get his head straight.
Cheika would be fully aware of the public's current perception of KB and knows that the last thing the Wallabies need at the moment is to have the focus of the touring squad distracted by having KB rushed into the squad and all of the media frenzy that would attract.
Cheika was really pissed off with McKenzie's reasoning for leaving Will Skelton out of a couple of tests "due to his level of fitness". As Cheika said, Skelton had been in camp with the Wallabies and under the direction of the Wallabies coaching staff. Who's fault is it if a test player's fitness is not monitored and maintained whilst in Wallabies camp?
Don't worry, Cheika will know exactly how KB is travelling and dealing with the wash-up of the last couple of weeks but he has FA time to get familiar with a new squad with a game next week against the Barbarians (AB's 2nd XV) and then four test matches.

so much effort answering a " I've heard" comment .... :nono:. You surprised me Fat

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I'm sure Fat has his contacts but wot he said as to Chiekas thinking was pretty much in this mornings paper.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...ans-for-immediate-recall-20141026-11btmn.html

Does this mean the ACT press are already aligned with the new coach's way of thinking?

Cheika's thinking is as would be expected of a new coach thrust into his current position. No prizes for working this one out:hap:

PS: My contact told me last Sunday that Cheika wouldn't be coaching the Wallabies because the Waratahs wouldn't be prepared to let him go.
I guess even NSW Rugby underestimated the wily fox

Last edited: