latching

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I misread... red push blue back, and the ball is dragged back by the blue anchor who is being pulled along the ground. PK. Anchoring in itself is often hard to judge C&O, and I try to manage.

Law reference?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In short, YES! Under the strict working of the Law the Blue player is not fully supporting his own weight because his hands are gripped onto his team mate.

Not necessarily.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
15.15, BC is playing the ball in the ruck.
I agree. Only at that point the Ball Carrier (tackled player) will already have not been penalized for 14.7a not making the ball available immediately. And after a tackle all of the players must be on their feet while they play the ball, so also liable to penalty between the completed tackle and the formation of the ruck. Once the ruck is formed then 15.15 should nail his penalty for the third time of asking.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Real scenario (maybe). Tackle, ball placed well back, keeps hand on ball, teammate latches, opponent counter rucks, hand keeps ball back. You've allowed the tackled player to lay there and keep his hand on the ball (both common practice) but now you ping him?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Real scenario (maybe). Tackle, ball placed well back, keeps hand on ball, teammate latches, opponent counter rucks, hand keeps ball back. You've allowed the tackled player to lay there and keep his hand on the ball (both common practice) but now you ping him?

Once the ball is placed back, it better stay there. I'm find with a hand keeping it *stationary* as long as it doesn't materially impact the ruck and the BC doesn't play keepaway if the opposing side wins the rucks.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes

You don't ping him if he moves the ball with his hand usually?

Law refs 9.4, 13.3.b, 14.7.c, 15.15... I mean, it's practically a RC by now! ;)