Later lines from the scrummie

breako

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Was doing a game today. At the ruck I usually stand around about the hind most of the attacking side and a few meters out. Scrummie was picking and going a lot - but was running a really lateral flat line. This meant traffic was coming my way a lot and I had to move.

Ended up, taking two or three big steps forward so I wasn't in the way - however this mean I was kind over - running a bit.

Any tips - for when the Scrummie runs a lateral line?

Thanks.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
You initial position seems good to me.
What I would add, is looking for a gap in the defense line and stand on that gap. So when the SH (or any player) picks up, just have the few steps you're mentioning in your OP to in (or slightly behind) the defending line.
That makes you out of the way and close enough for the next breakdown.

Alternatively, you can use the Jokey position (a couple of yards directly behind the ruck)... But it's not my favorite: in case of a pick and go, it's very hard to be there to see any quick infringement: all you see if the guy-picking-the-ball's bottom (which can be big and obstruct the view ;)

Overall, I reckon what's you're doing is a good principle. Maybe just try to smoothen the execution...

My 2 cents,
Pierre.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The Chariot or Jockey should generally be avoided. But it can be useful as a variation.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The Chariot or Jockey should generally be avoided. But it can be useful as a variation.

Why should the chariot position be avoided? I've always heard this but completely disagree. If anything I see it as the best position at the breakdown.

From a few meters behind a ruck you can see the entire defensive line, you can see the ball emerging and when the ball is produced you can follow the play be it a pick and drive, or a pass to the strong or blind side.

If anything I find the position the OP described as the worst position possible. You can't see the blindside, you have to twist your body to see the breakdown and look away from the defensive line. As well you invariably end up in the 9/10 channel with the possiblity of attacking players running their lines so that you become a shield. And if you don't turn quick enough to follow the pass from the 9 to 10 the play is now behind you and you can miss a knock on.

There are obviously situations where you want to vary your positioning. For example when the attacking team is very close to the try line, with several phases of pick and go, you would likely want to be in goal on the defensive side to look for grounding close to the line.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I refer him to Talbazar's answer give before his question (21 September 2014).

There is rarely a black and white "never stand there" answer. This one is not hte best and the position the OP takes is is generlly better. Better view, better running lines for the ref etc. However, variety is good. It keeps the offenders (sorry players) guessing.

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?15555-a-little-embarassed
Post 6 & 8 refer.

Last edited:

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Was doing a game today. At the ruck I usually stand around about the hind most of the attacking side and a few meters out. Scrummie was picking and going a lot - but was running a really lateral flat line. This meant traffic was coming my way a lot and I had to move.

Ended up, taking two or three big steps forward so I wasn't in the way - however this mean I was kind over - running a bit.

Any tips - for when the Scrummie runs a lateral line?

Thanks.

Agree with others on varying position - essentially anything that's good for you works. From what you describe, I'd suggest standing on your line further away - if an assessor (sorry, advisor) can see you missing a first offence at breakdown 40m away then a few more metres shouldn't be a problem for you.

Also position opposite a defensive gap. You then have the option as the SH charges towards you of
(a) stepping towards gap, and turning to watch play executed, and returning around the SH to follow

(b) stepping back to let SH storm past you as his colleagues wonder why he hasn't passed to them yet again, then following in his wake

(c) let him run into you because you CBA to play his game and agree with his 10. (part-joke that one)

Look at the 9's foot position to determine which side the ball is most likely to come from, then position accordingly.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Don't 'stand' anywhere........................keep moving :wink:

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Don't 'stand' anywhere........................keep moving :wink:

Yes, thanks, Mr Advisor :)

I 'stand' corrected, or cautioned. If stopped, make sure it's momentary and you are on your toes ready to move in pretty much any direction. And move as soon as the ball is in at scrum and lineout (if not before, but we do have to have integrity when judging not straight, calling from the back of the 8 doesn't really work :)

'Elite' have made it, so don't need to worry about going anywhere or seeing anything any more - they have ARs and cameras to help them...

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Watching elite guys, they're not permanently on the move, they 'stand' quite often. :shrug:

Positioning is not something you can learn from elite games. they have ARs and, as a result, they have different "needs". We have to do the whole job so we have to keep moving and varrying our position.