Latest Report

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Only a couple of points I would disagree with- offsides werent a problem in the game- both scrum halves took ages to pass the ball, so it looked like defence was up too early, but they werent.
Other one is the tackler not releasing- Assessor didnt mention this at all in the post match debrief, and I gave a YC in first half for persistent infringement at the breakdown, which sorted this out.
Other than that- quite happy with the report.
He also got the weather wrong- it was breezy and bright sunshine.

1. CHALLENGE OF THE MATCH:

Both teams from Midland League 2, one from North and the other West, should be a very competitive game and a good challenge for this grade 8 referee. A match of two halves Red dominating play in the first half and the reverse happening in the second with Blue scoring 21 unopposed points. He was little slow off the mark but managed to get in to the right position to decide and make the right decision where and when necessary. Dealt with the foul play and professional fouls quickly and with out fuss.
A dry afternoon with no sun or wind and the pitch is in good condition. –

2. MATCH MANAGEMENT:

It wasn’t an easy game to referee because it was played at a level 6 speed with level 10 skills. With one or two exceptions James managed the game well trying to play advantage where he could only for both sides to make a mess of it. There appeared to be a continuous string of endless scrums for knock-on’s and forward passes. The one consolation was that he put the scrums together very well and controlled this area of the game well.

PLEASE ASSESS THE REFEREE’S MATCH MANAGEMENT USING CRITERIA MD

3. THE REFEREE’S POTENTIAL:

James was competent at this level on this game; he is fit enough but needs to improve his speed off the mark. In my opinion he is good enough to referee at level 7 and is learning fast. Both coaches made a point of complementing his game in my hearing and the Red coach doesn’t like referees.

4. KEY COMPONENTS

REFEREE’S STRENGTHS - Please select up to three of the above units to outline the referee’s strengths in this match, using the Key Components descriptors.

Line-Out
Didn’t miss a thing here as far as I could see. Nice to see referees actually blow his whistle for not straight. He caught the Red jumper leaning on the opposition which others I have watched this year have missed. ( Make the two front players responsible for setting the gap you shouldn’t need to mark each line out)

Advantage
James obviously enjoys this law, and just a pity the players weren’t skilled enough to use it.

Scrum
He excelled at putting the scrum together and I don’t remember a single on collapsing. When they started to anticipate the “engage” he changed his rhythm and got it back in control.( remember no. 8’s have to bind too)

AREAS TO DEVELOP - Please select up to three of the above units to outline areas that need to be developed using the Key Components Descriptors.

Ruck/Maul

There were far too many offside’s not given for loiterers/guards and rear foot offenders.

Solution
In order to catch them you need to move and don’t point to highlight someone is off side and then not act when they don’t move. Point once &, warn, then penalises. It be comes a game of wills which you have to win

Tackle
Several penalties were given in both halves against both teams for not releasing the tackled player.

Solution
Although you eventually dealt with this I believe you would have made the game easier for you to referee and fairer for the players, if you had spoken to the captain certainly of Blue in the first halve and threatened more sever sanctions if it persisted than waiting until late in the second half.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
well if he says that you're good enough to level 7 then that's great. It all sounds like tidying up work to me instead of real law stuff. well done.

I disagree with his LO comment though, I find providing inside shoulder marks for both teams very effective. Can't remember the last time I had to warn more than once about "I've given you your mark" in a game.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Some thoughts in RED.

He also got the weather wrong- it was breezy and bright sunshine.
I wouldnt mention this to him; it's of no real consequence. He might have just left it on their from the previous report "template" and forgot to change it!

Line-Out
Didn’t miss a thing here as far as I could see. Nice to see referees actually blow his whistle for not straight. He caught the Red jumper leaning on the opposition which others I have watched this year have missed. ( Make the two front players responsible for setting the gap you shouldn’t need to mark each line out)

Managing is different than assuming responsibility. Setting a gap is good management; you might want to think about whether you need to do it for both teams. The defenders are the most likely to close the gap so in my view a greater focus should be on them.

Ruck/Maul

There were far too many offside’s not given for loiterers/guards and rear foot offenders.

Solution
In order to catch them you need to move and don’t point to highlight someone is off side and then not act when they don’t move. Point once &, warn, then penalises. It be comes a game of wills which you have to win
You might want to stop pointing entirely. It will tend to highlight an issue that might not even exist! By pointing and not doing anything (and you might be right for not acting; they could already be onside) you're now giving a "marker" to the opposition/PR that you've seen a player infringe, and then there is no action. Much like telling a defensive line that is already onside to "push back".

I'm all for being specific with management of players, but you can achieve this without pointing at players in the backline. Most of them can hear you if you tell them to move back specifically.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
In terms of the line-out -as you get higher - the advice is to mark the defensive line. Set the first couple of line-out gaps then leave them to it. A FK for closing soon reminds the front man of his responsibility.

A good report, and one you can build upon.