Law 14 - Ball on the ground. No tackle.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Refereed a L11 game on Saturday which invariably has players in positions on the field that are generally not the same as a L8 game for instance. :)

Green 4 runs back and falls on the ball after an appalling pass goes over his head into the 22. There are no tacklers nor support and he lays longways and presents the ball in a "text book" fashion (still with no support). First Yellow player into the "No tackle" area arrives from green side and just picks up the ball (he wasn't offside previously) and away he goes. Howls from Green about gates and offside.

Didn't look quite right but I played on. Yellow got tackled and knocked on.:biggrin:

Having looked at Law 14 I think I'm right to play on but it is a curious thing to see and something I don't think I've come across before (helped by the piss poor pass and the lack of support from Green 4's team mates).

Am I right or missing something?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
No tackle, no gate.
Open play, crack on.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yeah, but he's "got to let him up!!!!!!" :biggrin:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
won't stop um shouting it at L11 (in fact I've heard it at L1 :wink: )

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Re: OP. - gathering the ball in open play 'remains' open play, and the player on the floor is protected from being dropped on ( which rather strangely isn't also a foul play law)

I watched LV highlights last night , and in one match the commentator said "he has to let him up" ( i forget which game) :shrug: