[Law] Law Changing Front row skills out of the game?

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Seems to me given the most recent decisions/changes: wheeling not earning a turn over, scrum half position on the feed and maybe allowing play on at a collapse, Plus the whole change in the past few years with the engagement process eliminating contact at engagement is making the past 20+ years of working on my front row (at #2 & #3) scrumming skills and skill set useless. Just saying I long for the "engage when ready" days.
Sure safety safely.... Makes a more marketable, less ruffian game but all the changes take a lot of the gentlemen's fun outta our game too.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I'd say the skills that you and other FR forwards have learned over the last 20 or so years have been contrary to law (the hit etc) now forwards have to learn how to scrummage as the old school did.

The crooked feed is something that went into overdrive as the hit took over. Now hookers might just learn to hook again. Perish the thought.

Long overdue in my opinion!

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Huck, as a fellow #2 & #3 I could sympathize but I won't. As laws change old methods die and new ones evolve. I support all the recent (and also the proposed) changes except the biased scrumhalf positioning.

Last edited: