Law Clarrifications

Norfolk_Ref

Facebook Member
Post Likes
as a newish ref - I'm reading the irblaws website and I'm looking at the law clarifications. How far back into the past should I go?

Thanks

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
probably only a couple of years, and don't worry about the minutiae of the law too much.

Pretty much all the clarifications that matter have been incorporated into the actual laws.

As a newish ref you should be thinking more about your positioning, about visualising play pre-game, and ensuring that you are on the spot at the breakdown - then concentrate on communication with players.

Once you get these sorted then you can worry about how many angels dance on a pinhead.

Norfolk_Ref

Facebook Member
Post Likes
thanks, when I say newish I mean this is that start of my first full season, after my development season last year. Thanks for the quick reply.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
thanks, when I say newish I mean this is that start of my first full season, after my development season last year.
After a crap game, I once asked my assessor (himself a retired good ref) how long it took him before he felt he was any good. As he supped his pint he said "Ooooh. I'd say about 25 .... years". :biggrin:

The clarifications are all well and good, but a lot of them just seem to confirm what you thought anyway; so I would read them, but make a note of the really important ones.

Personally, I would read (and make sure you understand) the Definitions before you read the clarifications. Eg There's no point applying ruck laws to a phase of play ... which isn't a ruck.