Law Trials Survey

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
The RFU has sent out emails with a survey attached asking for opinions on the 2017 law trials.
You may get the email as well but I wondered if we could provide some feedback here. In an attempt to remain focused the content of the letter is below.

Global Law Trials – Tell Us What You Think
A number of Global Law Trials have been introduced by World Rugby since the beginning of the season and applied to all games at all levels in England since 1 August 2017.

These Global Law Trials are designed to support player welfare and make the Laws simpler to play and watch. The 17 variations can be grouped around some key themes:
Time – how the game is ended after a penalty kick
Tackle/ruck – what the tackler must do and how a ruck can be formed
Advantage – where multiple infringements have occurred giving the non-offending team the choice of which they feel is the most advantageous to them
Touch, in goal and mark – putting the emphasis on where the ball is when it is played
The RFU is reviewing their effect and wants you to help shape the game of the future by responding to a survey.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I'm particularly keen on the tackler having to come through the gate trial, it's cleaned up the breakdown a lot.

Multiple advantages seem more equitable, but in the heat of the moment can be hard to keep track of.

Penalties/time: I think it's fair, although games tend to run on longer.

One-man ruck trial: meh.

Touch/mark/etc line trial: Clearer to explain, but not particularly easier to referee.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the Law trials are designed with pro-rugby in mind, where refs have ARs and TMOs , so the emphasis on planes, rather than on position of feet makes everything harder for the one man ref

tackler coming in through the gate is good

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I'm particularly keen on the tackler having to come through the gate trial, it's cleaned up the breakdown a lot.

Multiple advantages seem more equitable, but in the heat of the moment can be hard to keep track of.

Penalties/time: I think it's fair, although games tend to run on longer.

One-man ruck trial: meh.

Touch/mark/etc line trial: Clearer to explain, but not particularly easier to referee.

Agree with all this, except the ending the halves. The tap and kick is stupid. We give captains options at other points in the match. It could be as simple as kicked out after full time, then they have the option to continue, or end the half/game.