Laws.

Andy P

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Putting this in here as i don't have access to one of the other forums.

Having seen the ELV's in play in the SH and pre season games in the NH, some are good, others just make the game a bit like an U8's game - lots of running around with little tactical or strategic knowledge required.

The sad thing about this is if the existing laws were refereed correctly at senior level, there would have been little or no need to introduce the ELV's. As a result of senior players being allowed to drop on the ball for years and stand in offside positions at rucks slowing the game, the ELV's are forced on everybody.

At junior, school and mini level rugby that I ref and coach at, if you go off your feet at a ruck it's penalised quickly and as a result players stay on their feet, both teams can still compete for the ball and the ball comes back into play quickly. Why would you change that!!!!!!!!

Having spent time in Australia i would add that whining as an traint shared equally between NH and SH. As a joke it's as tired as all australians are convicts!!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The sad thing about this is if the existing laws were refereed correctly at senior level, there would have been little or no need to introduce the ELV's. As a result of senior players being allowed to drop on the ball for years and stand in offside positions at rucks slowing the game, the ELV's are forced on everybody.

I agree with the sentiment, not sure that is the reason for introducing the ELV;s though?

Andy P

Player or Coach
Post Likes
sorry, the ruck was an example of the sort of game killing that was making the game less exciting and bad for business ££.

I guess it's really about making the game simple like soccer, so simple people can understand it because the powers that be obviously think general public are incapable of understanding a game like this.

It's sad because it will reduce teams to single size fits all players and the ultimate progression is a bland game to suit TV when it's existing format works fine for 90% of the rugby world.

Oh my god i'm having a rant again!!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Why do people talk as though "the ELVs" are one take-it-or-leave-it collection? And why choose the ruck as an example when it is not affected by the current ELVs?

Using the numbering from the IRB's guide:-

1. Sensible way of distinguishing those with the power to flag foul play etc, and those without.

2 & 3. Based on a dubious belief that the maul is a Bad Thing because it cannot be defended.

4. Intended to get teams running the ball back more. In fact it leads to kicking duels.

5. Speeds up play.

6. Does away with silly Numbers penalties, but may reduce lineout variation.

7. Useful clarification.

8. Stops him lifting, which is seen as too big an advantage to the defence.

9 & 10. Legalises current practice.

11. Provide greater running room.

12. Necessary corollary of 11, but a bit of a mess.

13. Sensible tidying up.

Why bring so many in all at once? Because of the need to give all countries an opportunity to get used to any changes before the RWC.

A reasonable guess would be that those that have not made it to the current 13 will bot be part of the final package; and one or two of the baker's dozen could be dropped. I hope that will apply to 2 & 3; I am not sure about 4, but am currently dissatisfied with its effect; and I am not convinced that the benefits of 6 outweigh the lack of variation.

Finally, I am not convinced either that "refereeing the laws properly" would achieve what people fondly believe. The IRB has made recent pronouncements along those lines, so we will see.