League restructuring on hold.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
It seems like all is not rosy in the land of the RFU with the long awaited review into the restructuring of the Leagues below Championship level being put on hold after significant pressure from a number of different stakeholders including the Northern regions.

A 2 year review costing in the region of between £200 and £250,000

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...limb-down-over-lower-league-rugby-reform.html

Speaking to friends in the North West and the North East there were numerous mutterings made about how this was instigated and the outcome that the RFU were pushing for backed up by this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...hreat-of-a-rebellion-from-northern-clubs.html

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The difference between a 14 team and a 12 team league is 4 fixtures. I believe the cups were intended to be pool based, thus guaranteeing more than one fixture.

The article doesn't mention Southern clubs, so presumably they disagree? The previous cup competitions faded out because with no sponsors there was no prize money. Locally clubs were in favour of the new cup proposals.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
The difference between a 14 team and a 12 team league is 4 fixtures. I believe the cups were intended to be pool based, thus guaranteeing more than one fixture.

The article doesn't mention Southern clubs, so presumably they disagree? The previous cup competitions faded out because with no sponsors there was no prize money. Locally clubs were in favour of the new cup proposals.

Essentially the Northern Clubs (ok, one club in particular who are struggling for money as it is) didn't like the new leagues as quite rightly it would reduce the amount of guaranteed revenue available to them - ignoring the fact that the lowest league at the moment is made up of about 8 teams and most of those are at risk of falling out of the RFU Leagues.

Said club went round and asked everyone what they thought and found disagreement rife oop North to say the least.

Certainly in Eastern Counties the situation is different as looking back there were only ever 8 or 9 club leagues up until recently. The difference is now is that 2nd and 3rd teams in Eastern Counties 2, 3, and 4 - no longer have regular games with up to a month off because of the weather. The result being that you lose people to shopping and things. They lose the habit of a Saturday being going off and playing rugby.

Rugby Numbers seem to be dropping rapidly and it feels like these leagues would have made it worse. The status quo needs to be fixed somehow though.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Rugby Northerners disagree with HQ over money issues ? .... Hmmnnnn

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Rugby Northerners disagree with HQ over money issues ? .... Hmmnnnn

I think you'll find, as in 1895, Northern (and Yorkshire) Rugby is still propping up your posh boy's kick and clap fraternity club to a greater or lesser extent.

Lancaster
Farrell(s)
Rowntree

Care
Burrell

Mallinder
Ford(s)

Parling
Myler

etc.

anybody else is either South African or from the South Seas.

The perenial attendees at various RFU Cup/Plate/Vases at HQ are Yorkshire Teams (not always winners I grant you) which perhaps hints at the relative strength of the Division - when you couple that with the pull of RL in certain Northern Areas (ie most of it) we punch well above our weight. That's not to say of course we are entitled to complain more than any other Division about the proposed changes it is just when we talk it makes sense.

I have rather got off my intial reason for posting which was just to have a dig at Browner. :biggrin:

View attachment 3213

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
Admittedly not exactly a statistically relevant poll of clubs in the north west, but in my chats in the bar after a game over the last few months I have not met a club in favour of the changes.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
That's not to say of course we are entitled to complain more than any other Division about the proposed changes
True.
it is just when we talk it makes sense.
Not necessarily true. I will assume you know what makes sense for you, but is that all that matters? And just how bad are the new proposals for you?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think it is a wise move, as the plans were poorly thought through.

Some of the travelling that was to be expected by lower division clubs, especially those to the north of the country would have been absurd. Let's hope the RFU can now take the time to consider the options and sort out the mess at the Championship level before looking at the grass roots which is essentially in reasonable health. Not many cubs are living beyond their means (any more!).