Leinster V Cardiff TMO question

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Cardiff try pulled back for a throw forward. IT looked like it may have been deflected backwards by a Leinster defender. I don't think that the ref was in the best position to see it.

Could he go to the TMO? I think he should have gone IF it was an option but was it an option?

If you've not seen it. It was the final pass (about 20 -22 metres out) to the player who crossed the line to "score".

I don't know whether or not it was a knock back or not. I'm purely interested in the Protocol issue.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cardiff try pulled back for a throw forward. IT looked like it may have been deflected backwards by a Leinster defender. I don't think that the ref was in the best position to see it.

Could he go to the TMO?
He could, if he was in doubt about it.
I think he should have gone IF it was an option but was it an option?
He wasn't in doubt about it, he may have been wrong, and frankly the replay on the TV was inconclusive (no matter how many times Charlo said it was clear) but he wasn't in doubt so had no need to go the TMO.

If you've not seen it. It was the final pass (about 20 -22 metres out) to the player who crossed the line to "score".

I don't know whether or not it was a knock back or not. I'm purely interested in the Protocol issue.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Thanks for that. The protocol allows is what I thought. It certainly was not clear from the angles we saw on TV It certainly was not clear or obvious either way.

I'm a little surprised he did not go "upstairs" with the option open as his positioning meant he could not possibly see. Possibly his AR advised him.

Gareth Thomas's comment were inane. Saying the Cardiff player would not have wanted the ball to go forward so "something happened" was pretty stupid. But then it was Alfie (The bar was not set very high).