leinster v wasps

richie

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Anybody out there that watched the match wondering how Ashley Johnson only got a yc for tackling player in the air???
If anyone can post a clip , (I'm IT challenged), that would be great.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
because it was only 10 seconds in!

Kearney landed past the horizontal which, in my limited understanding, is supposed to mean a red?

mind you, nobody gives a red card that early. well, barring when Barnesy sent off Nick Wood about 30 seconds later than that a couple of years ago...

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think I'd have been reaching for a RC.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
First viewing on the day, I was thinking red, but then on review - I think he (just about) lands on his side, so YC if you are going on the tip tackle memo. But...

.. it wasn't a tackle. There was also no lift, so it can't be a "tip tackle". It was however, very dangerous, and I think Johnson looks up at Kearney, before running through him. He certainly isn't focused on the ball the whole way through the act, and had looked at Kearney, so knew where he was. Dumb & Dangerous act, and I don't think anyone who have complained if it was red.

I would probably have gone red, and have given red in the past for similar actions. I expect the citing officer to take a very close look at this...

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Classic Orange card that one/

Watched it twice and went from Red to Yellow to "Mmm, not sure". But agree that yes, the CO should take a long look at that.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Didn't think "instant Red". Had to mull it over.

And....................If you have to think about it, then it's a YC.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I appreciate it is blurred... but landing on his side?

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 13.15.09.jpg

Tight one. Highly dangerous.

richie

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
It's when you compare it to, say the red Jared Payne, a yc was certainly a let off.
Wasn't there overkill on this recently where players who were legitimately competing in the air were getting cards , whereas Johnson was not competing, not in the air and not even looking at the ball. Hope CO takes a look.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
What do you have to do to get a red card? I hope nobody is judging it just because the player was not injured.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Player was injured. That ended his game and he is out for at least a few weeks with a shoulder injury

JJ10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Classic Orange card that one/

Watched it twice and went from Red to Yellow to "Mmm, not sure". But agree that yes, the CO should take a long look at that.

Yep. Looks red in real time....

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Player was injured. That ended his game and he is out for at least a few weeks with a shoulder injury

A shoulder injury eh , maybe he injured it falling on his side or putting his arm down to lessen his fall?? ..:shrug:

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is probably the cause of the shoulder injury, but you can repair a shoulder...a bit harder to repair your brain.If he doesn't put his arm down, he's landing head first. His legs were taken past vertical and he was just dropped. This looked like an NFL football hit on a jumping WR. :norc:
View attachment 3163

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Add in the subtraction for (I assume) a relatively clean disciplinary record and you're down to 4 or 5. Expression of deep contrition... 4

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Add in the subtraction for (I assume) a relatively clean disciplinary record and you're down to 4 or 5. Expression of deep contrition... 4

Wearing a collar and tie and addressing the panel as "Sir" has to count for something as well...but can it go below 4 (half the entry point)?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
.... uncontrollable sobbing? Works for politicians.

Oh, don't forget to bring in the missus and hold hands. Absolute requirement for infidelity. Could halp at the hearing.

Last edited: