[Law] Lifters lift a teammate to block a PK

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
https://youtu.be/Z_qKPejByW4

Scroll forward to 1min 29secs in the video.
I used to think this was illegal, is it still. If so, law reference please ..

It is not illegal for a conversion right ?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
CONVERSIONS

All opposing players retire to their goal line and do not overstep that line until the kicker begins the approach to kick. When the kicker does this, they may charge or jump to prevent a goal but must not be physically supported by other players in these actions.

If kick is missed, rekick.

PKs

Any player who intentionally touches the ball in an attempt to prevent a penalty goal being scored is illegally touching the ball.

If kick is missed, new PK 10m closer to goalline.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It is banned by law but I don't see any difference to this and lifting to catch kick offs and restarts.
Basically that is creating an unfair contest and should also be banned.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Penalties and conversions are essentially restricted forms of contest.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It is banned by law but I don't see any difference to this and lifting to catch kick offs and restarts.
Basically that is creating an unfair contest and should also be banned.

It is also something of a risk to lift a player in a dynamic situation. Players chasing the KO making a genuine FAIR and LEGAL attempt to catch the ball have two or morplayers to potentially colide with causing injury. For me ban it completely. But until then the law is as previously stated.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Surely conversions an not "restricted" contests they are not contests in any sense of the word. Regarding a Penalty, once the ball is kicked it depends whether it is a kick at goal or touch. For the first the contest is restricted,in that you can't jump to stop the ball, in the second, however, as soon as the ball is kicked the contest is "unrestricted".

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have always thought that lifting players to catch the ball in open play is dangerous and should be stopped. This, along with the dangers of players jumping to catch h the ball lead me to suggest a law change. it is that following a kick the catcher must have one foot on the ground when they attempt to catch the ball. No more mid air collisions and players landing on their backs/head/shoulders.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Except you are allowed to attempt to charge down a conversion kick

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Surely conversions an not "restricted" contests they are not contests in any sense of the word.
You can charge to prevent the ball going over, but only after the kicker starts his run up. You can't lift a team mate.

Regarding a Penalty, once the ball is kicked it depends whether it is a kick at goal or touch. For the first the contest is restricted,in that you can't jump to stop the ball, in the second, however, as soon as the ball is kicked the contest is "unrestricted".
That is the restriction.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You can charge to prevent the ball going over, but only after the kicker starts his run up. You can't lift a team mate.

That is the restriction.

It's not a contest, restricted or otherwise. That was my point not the ability to charge as opposed to lift.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It's not a contest, restricted or otherwise. That was my point not the ability to charge as opposed to lift.
Since it is possible to legally prevent a conversion, it must surely be considered a contest, albeit a one-sided one.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think you know what rugby terms a contest.