[Line out] Lineout alternative after 80 minutes

jamesgoz

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've read a couple of posts discussing actions possible for penalties after the clock goes red, but can't see this issue covered.

If you're out of time you can't kick for touch as the ball is dead. However I watched a ref (Wayne Barnes I think) explaining to Sexton recently that he could elect to take the lineout on the 5m line after being awarded a penalty, rather than actually kicking to touch. That looks like application of Law 21.4 (b).

So what are the implications if the clock is in the red in that scenario? It seems that if a penalty is awarded after 80 minutes you could actually still take a lineout, it would be in line with where the penalty was awarded (on the 5m line for instance). I've never seen this done before, but then again while a scrum alternative is commonplace that part of the Law seems to be little known.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's a new Law, jamesgoz, and applies only for a PK awarded at a lineout .... then you can opt for another lineout without having to kick it first.

It has two reasons behind it
1 - saves time, as you don't have the pointless rigmarole of tapping it out

2 - but more importantly as you say, if the PK is awarded after 80 mins, they can take it as a line out. (Previously they couldn't, as they would have had to kick it out first, which would have ended the game)

Defending teams were taking advantage of the old law by committing deliberate PK offences at an 81st minute lineout to force the attackers into a new PK that they'd have to tap instead.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've read a couple of posts discussing actions possible for penalties after the clock goes red, but can't see this issue covered.

If you're out of time you can't kick for touch as the ball is dead. However I watched a ref (Wayne Barnes I think) explaining to Sexton recently that he could elect to take the lineout on the 5m line after being awarded a penalty, rather than actually kicking to touch. That looks like application of Law 21.4 (b).

So what are the implications if the clock is in the red in that scenario? It seems that if a penalty is awarded after 80 minutes you could actually still take a lineout, it would be in line with where the penalty was awarded (on the 5m line for instance). I've never seen this done before, but then again while a scrum alternative is commonplace that part of the Law seems to be little known.

Its worth noting that in the SH we are already operating under a new law where teams can lick for touch and take the line-out even after time has expired in either half. If a team wants to end the game by kicking out at a PK, they must tap kick first before kicking the ball out.