Lions v Blues. No knock on - Try

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hands up all those who thought I was wrong, and that the try was fairly awarded!

Well, you're wrong folks!

It seems those who recognised that stripping the ball out was an intentional act and was therefore covered by Clarification 2011-4, while knocking the ball out in the process of tackling isn't, have got it right on the money.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Think we should expect this one to head up to IRB for further clarity...

This has already been done. The iRB agreed that the decision to award the try was wrong.

It didn't go against my expectations of a] knock on law, b] clarification interpretation c] common sense ...... so TRY.

Seems there are some flaws in your logic Browner, specifically, at points a], b] and c] as well as your conclusion.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hands up all those who thought I was wrong, and that the try was fairly awarded!

LB has made a reclarification after the event. Your point is ...?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Our survey said...:

Lyndon Bray: "Lions #13 is carrying the ball and about to attempt to score a try. Blues #11 effects a tackle and Lions #13 loses possession as a result. While the Blues player does jolt the ball out of his possession, he is not trying to deliberately 'rip the ball' out of the player's possession. The onus is on the ball carrier to maintain possession while being tackled. Therefore, this should have been ruled as a knock on and subsequently, no try."
http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/referee-update-lyndon-bray/

Think we should expect this one to head up to IRB for further clarity...

Clip 2 is exactly why I've said I'm against referees making decisions once the TMO is consulted. The TMO knew it was the wrong decision and the referee forced him into a corner. Numerous incidents of this have been seen since the changing of the protocol.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I did say way back in this thread that I thought the TMO was reluctant to use the words "You may award the try":wink:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

It seems those who recognised that stripping the ball out was an intentional act and was therefore covered by Clarification 2011-4, while knocking the ball out in the process of tackling isn't, have got it right on the money.

Sitting here basking in the warm fuzzy feeling you get when you get something right (doesn't happen all that often so have to take 'em when I gets 'em)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
LB has made a reclarification after the event. Your point is ...?

Re clarification or not, the referees made an incorrect decision in Law in the first place.

For as long as I can remember, there have always been two different outcomes when the ball was ripped out of the grasp of a ball carrier by an opponent

► When the ripper took the ball and maintained possession, it was always play-on

► When the ripper lost the ball backwards it the act of ripping, it was always a knock-on against the ball carrier.

This seemed wrong, that the ball carrier was disadvantaged by the ripper's inability to hold onto the ball. Clarification 2011-4 was supposed to address this issue. This is all the ARU asked for

"The Law does not explicitly cover scenarios where the ball is ripped out of the possession of a ball-carrier by an opponent. In these situations it is almost impossible for the referee to determine exactly who last touched or had physical contact with the ball."

The ARU did not ask the iRB to extend this to any scenario where the opponent dislodged the ball, either by striking it or by the forced of the tackle. They ONLY asked that the issue of the ball being ripped be addressed, and the iRB complied.

Those who wish to hang their hat on this wording...

"it is almost impossible for the referee to determine exactly who last touched or had physical contact with the ball"

...should keep in mind the context in which it was written, It refers only to the (intentional) act of ripping the ball. It emphatically, does not apply to the dislodging of the ball in a tackle, regardless of whether the tackler made any contact with the ball.

At no time was 2011-4 ever supposed to be applied in the way it was in this match.

I did say way back in this thread that I thought the TMO was reluctant to use the words "You may award the try"
3.gif

I agree. As I said in the OP, they talked themselves into an incorrect decision.

Sitting here basking in the warm fuzzy feeling you get when you get something right (doesn't happen all that often so have to take 'em when I gets 'em)

Same here. How does that fast food advertisement go....?

Imlovinit.png

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
were you popular at school?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"FFS, give Cookie the gig or he'll keep banging on & on & on about it"

No Dickie, but I could not only argue the back legs off a donkey, I could convince him to give them up willingly!! :pepper::knuppel2:

Hhhmmmm.....
So it's been there from an early age.

I love debating issues. I probably would have been a politician if my father hadn't convinced me that a political career was only one step up from used car salesman!

Last edited:

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Looks like it all comes (more or less) clarified for once...
At least on the knock-on issue...

Would I be the only one for think YC and PT on this clip (high tackle)?
(just because I don't want the thread to stop :pepper:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Yep, I can see where you are coming from, but this type of tackle, over the shoulder and onto the ball carrier's chest, making no contact with the head or neck, happens frequently at all levels of the game and is not judged as dangerous. IMO, there would be a helluva lot of YC/PT's awarded if this was deemed high

The fact that the SANZAR Disciplinary Committee have not cited Charles Pitutau, or even given him a post-match YC tells the story.

I think you are piddling into the wind on this one talbazar.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

No; that was my thought. Beam up the high tackler and there's nothing to stop the BC dotting it down in goal. So the outcome (try) was correct.

OTOH, I'm not a referee..

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I love debating issues. I probably would have been a politician if my father hadn't convinced me that a political career was only one step up from used car salesman!

Up?

msf

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I did say way back in this thread that I thought the TMO was reluctant to use the words "You may award the try":wink:

We've been using the phrase "understood" if a referee makes a decision on his own - no emotion or conjecture around it. We're there to help the referee if he needs it - he's the sole judge of fact after all and will live and die by the decision.

If we really don't agree then we could throw in something like "would you like to see that angle again" as a prompt. What we don't want to do is get into a situation where we arguing with the ref from the box - a la Mr Walsh a few years ago I seem to recall.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I was one of those; it seems I was wrong.

It complicates the process somewhat, of course; if intentionality isn't an issue, then the decision tree is:

* Did the ball go forward from the PoV of the tackler?
* Did the tackler knock the ball from the BC's hands?
* If yes to both, then knock on; if not, play on.

The decision tree if intentionality is an issue is:

* Which way did the ball go from the PoV of the tackler?
* Did the tackler knock the ball from the BC's hands?
* Did the tackler intend to do so?
* If forward/yes/yes, then tackler knock on
* If backward/yes/yes, then play on
* If forward/yes/no, then was the tackler the last player to play it; if so, then tackler knock on - otherwise play on
* If backward/yes/no, then was the BC the last player to play it; if so, then BC knock on - otherwise play on

Leaving you with not just judging intentionality, but also (if there is no intentionality) making the precise judgment call (who last played it) that the clarification was intended to make unnecessary. The "rip", where the ball is pulled from the BC's arms, rather than knocked from them, is actually the easiest situation in which to make that call.

You also have difficulties with big hits from in front where the tackler goes for man and ball together, and the shoulder makes contact with the ball; if the ball pops out, how do you judge intent?

Lyndon Bray's explanation of the difference between this clip and the Chiefs/Stormers incident really doesn't clarify, either; he makes no reference to intentionality (so presumably the latter contact was also unintentional), but bases the distinction on whether the BC intended to maintain possession or to pass.