LV Cup...London Welsh vs Exeter

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Are the refs in the LV cup and the Premiership not bothering with how the ball is fed into the scrum?

I was watching the highlights and there was a scrum on the 10m line and the ball was fed right to the 2nd row. The line was there....and there was no effort to put the ball in straight.

This is becoming more like league with the scrum just becoming a way to restart play and not a competition between two packs.

On a lighter note, Exeter have the proppiest looking prop that I have seen in a long time!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This is becoming more like league with the scrum just becoming a way to restart play and not a competition between two packs.
There is plenty of competition - just not to hook the ball. Given that even with a straight feed a top level hooker will only get out-hooked once in a blue moon, teams long ago started to concentrate on other aspects of the competition, such as pushing the opponents back, or wheeling the scrum to their disadvantage.

I too would like to see the ball fed in properly, but before that can happen I think it is essential to insist on the scrum being "stationary and parallel" (as one bit of the law requires).

LankyStreak

Referees in England
Post Likes
Problem is there is a little inconsistency amongst assessors and its difficult for referees. Some absolutely insist on a straight ball, others view is that there are enough other things to be worrying about and not to go looking for problems. It's a nightmare for referees not knowing what standard to apply.

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
So what do we do at the lower levels then?

Do we insist on 'proper' scrums or just go with what is happening at the elite level? When we get pulled up for it by the assessors, can we just point to the elite referee and say they do it so why can't we? Naive and childish I know, but it will happen.

Will the players do the same?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I have been pulled up for it by an assessor.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I think there are good reasons why it is not a high priority with referees (safety first and foremost), though it is easier at my levels than at internationals. It is therefore not my highest priority either.

On Saturday, one of the scrum halves lined up to throw alongside the opposition front row. Obviously from that position he could not feed the ball in straight unless his pack shifted forward a foot or two (which they often did in fact). That sort of thing a referee should notice and deal with.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If the scrum hasnt been straight or steady, after 1 reset (where I have reminded both teams or the requirements) I've been free-kicking sides early in the last 2-3 games which has worked well towards gaining a stationary, safe and competitive scrum.

Getting this safe early has helped me have a look at feeds with 1 eye, I've called a few and they don't do it again!