Makes me shake my head...

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Had this in today's game and I could only shake my head and laugh.

Very competitive game with several know-it-alls on both teams, so I had to keep my wits about me.

Blue scores a try just inside the left upright, and #10 lines up for the conversion. He places the tee and begins to set the ball up right in the middle of the posts. The conversation then goes like this:

Me: "The try was scored over here so this is where the mark is"
#10 : "But if you score between the posts, you can kick it anywhere"
Me: "No, the conversion must be in line with where the try is scored"
#10: "34 years I've been playing and you have just gone and changed the laws today"
Me: "Nowhere in the law book does it state that a conversion can be taken anywhere between the posts in this situation"
#10(Annoyed): "I don't read the bloody law book"
Me: "Maybe you should, and you'll take the kick over here"

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
"34 years I've been playing and you have just gone and changed the laws today"

I believe they may have changed one or two laws in the last 34 years;- I am happy to provide such reminders as a form of Missionary work for the benefit of the uneducated and/or unwilling.:wtf:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Originally the complex procedure for a try at goal meant you could not really expect to take a kick from in front of goal.

In1883 that procedure was done away with as being too intricate, and the law said[LAWS]A side having touched the ball down in their opponents' goal shall try at goal by a place kick in the following manner:-
One of the players shall bring it up to the goal line in a straight line (parallel to the touch line), from the spot where it was touched down (unless between the posts, in which case he shall bring it up to either post), and there make a mark on the goal line and thence walk out with it in a line parallel to the touch lines such distance as he thinks proper, and there place it for another of his side to kick.[/LAWS]

However in 1884 this was changed[LAWS]The ball can be brought out anywhere between the posts, and not only from one of the posts.[/LAWS]

In 1947 the RFU ruled on a query[LAWS]"May a kick at goal from a try scored between the posts be brought out to any spot in front of goal, or must it be taken from the spot where the try was scored, along a line parallel to eth touch lnes?"

The Rugby Union ruled that it must be taken out on a line parallel to the touch line through the place where the try was scored.[/LAWS]
Royds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
- -

#10: "34 years I've been playing and you have just gone and changed the laws today"
Me: "Nowhere in the law book does it state that a conversion can be taken anywhere between the posts in this situation"
#10(Annoyed): "I don't read the bloody law book"

Me: I need to have better knowledge than handed down rumour!

I've advised you, .... so........ kick from wherever you want, if it's not correct - I'll simply disallow it.

How long have you been moisturising? You look far too young to have been playing 34 years :)

Last edited:

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
I heard a good response the other day:
I'm the only one here paid to know the laws. Maybe you should listen to me.

I'm also big on 'After the game we will grab the law book and see who's correct. Loser buys first round'.

I've yet to buy a round.