Mark

DarrenJones

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
More of a rather humerus story than anything to lighten your day, I figured I'd share the story of how I learned of the mark rule. I started playing at 23 and in my first season was playing wing. and we were only a few games in. We kicked and I chased and their one player caught the ball whilst calling mark. I proceeded to tackle him (rather hard, as I was a sprinter in university but still weighing 90kg) Their team came rushing over ready to fight, my team came to my defense. One of their players said "He called mark" to which I replied "i don't care what his name is" and a teammate stated "He's new." tempers cooled and we all had a good laugh about it as they explained the rule to me and I apologized to "Mark".
To keep this to the thread, just a penalty or yellow :p

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
:clap:

Charging a prone player, when effectively the ball is dead (especially if the whistle for the mark had gone), is looking down the barrel of a YC.
You not knowing the laws is, unfortunately for you, not my monkey.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If the tackler is really late after the mark is called and awarded... I think YC is the very least that can be expected.

And ignorance is no excuse etc etc etc

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If the tackler is really late after the mark is called and awarded... I think YC is the very least that can be expected.

And ignorance is no excuse etc etc etc

didds
A problem can occur if the referee is slow to award the Mark - the player thinks it has not been awarded but the catcher assumes it has and is off his guard. Make sure you whistle or call "Play on" ASAP.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
it has become common practice at elite level for the marker to make the free kick signal which makes some sense in a noise-filled stadium. I wonder if this will become a standard. It seems to me to be an oddity that a game decision is made based on the verbal outburst of a player.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
it has become common practice at elite level for the marker to make the free kick signal which makes some sense in a noise-filled stadium. I wonder if this will become a standard. It seems to me to be an oddity that a game decision is made based on the verbal outburst of a player.
Yes, but I don't think I will ever fail to hear a good shout just because the dog was barking or its owner wheezing.