Markers pissing about with each other

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Shiny new forum. Let's have a post in it.

(Also, can we rename it "The Ruck Area" to annoy the other lot?)

Here's a problem I see a lot, especially at this time of year (or in junior games). You've got a boggy pitch and players of questionable ability; I'm already overlooking a host of presentation issues so that we can have a game instead of a whistle demonstration. The combination of wet, sticky ground and bad players means that the actual play-the-ball itself is going very slowly; either it's getting stuck in the mud or the tackled player isn't rolling or heeling it hard enough, or whatever. The net result is it's taking an age for the ball to get into the acting half's hands.

So now the first marker sees an opportunity to get in and disrupt things, and he's looking to break early, get round the tackled player, and scrag the half; and the play-the-ball is so slow and predictable that he can time it well enough for me not being able to sell pinging him for not square, because he patently is. This happens a couple of times and then the tackled player gets wise and starts casually edging sideways and forwards after putting the ball down to get in the marker's way.

How do I best manage this? The thing that's stopping me from just telling the tackled player to knock it off is that he's actually helping the game to flow better by obstructing the marker; but then of course the marker gets frustrated and starts complaining, and I don't have an easy comeback because he's right, and now there's a major management challenge...

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yeah its more prevailent at junior level with the attacker not getting enough of the foot on it. Just be very strong on your "HOLD" and "GO" call for the defence, I use it at all levels because the less words said are often the better, if you notice the attacker stand to the side to catch the marker out, warn them a couple of times and then ping them for moving off the mark.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
At young age group could you not have a word with coaches to say to leave the acting half alone as long as he is only passing not running?

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sounds like U11s and below where marker cant move until the marker takes a step. I sometimes stop the game for a few at juniors for a little "coaching" which the coaches appreciate more than a penalty if its a technical thing at ptb