Maul but defense penalised for not releasing!?

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Didn't referee yesterday as was crook most of the week so went down to home club to watch instead.

Main game of the day.

Red ball carrier held by one Green player, 2 or 3 join from each side creating maul. Red player carrying ball gets knees to ground after some struggling, Green moving forward. Green players told to release by referee!? Referee eventually penalises Green.

*It's not a one off as I have seen this referee (and others for that matter) manage this situation like this a few times over the last couple of weeks.

My interpretation: - It's a maul. Player on the ground must release. Or have I missed something?

Different to a tackle (with no tackler) where player held and brought to ground and 'tackler' stays on their feet must release and then are able to go for ball.

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
I ref it the same as you maul no tackler release, tackle must release.

Cody

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I ref it the same as you maul no tackler release, tackle must release.

Cody

That sounds different from what Mickman is saying. Sounds like you are telling the player holding the ball carrier in the maul the he must release the player.

My interpretation: - It's a maul. Player on the ground must release. Or have I missed something?

Different to a tackle (with no tackler) where player held and brought to ground and 'tackler' stays on their feet must release and then are able to go for ball.

I agree with mickman here.

A maul is NOT a tackle, so the player in the maul holding the ball carrier up does have to comply with any of the obligations of Law 15, i.e. he does not have to to release the ball carrier,

However, if the ball carrier gets one or both knees on the ground, then the ball carrier must release the ball.

If the ball carrier, in trying to go to ground does, not release the ball and ends up bringing the maul down, then he should be penalised for collapsing the maul.

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Mickman, you may find THIS thread (from a few weeks ago) useful.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the consensus was that if one player goes to ground (ie knee on ground) and opponent stays on his feet, while both have grasp of ball, then this is an unplayable maul with turnover scrum. Ie neither player is obliged to release the ball.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the consensus was that if one player goes to ground (ie knee on ground) and opponent stays on his feet, while both have grasp of ball, then this is an unplayable maul with turnover scrum. Ie neither player is obliged to release the ball.

Its probably the best outcome, and it is within the referee's purview to call that unplayable, but it isn't the Law.

The end result is going to be the same anyway, a turnover.