Maul from restart ending unsuccessfully

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Aus catch the ball from the Welsh restart of the second half. The ensuing maul ends unsuccessfully and Wales are given the put-in. Was this the correct call?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I always need to process this:
1. Unsuccessful regular maul - oppo feed, unless
2. Direct from kick in general play, unless
3. From a restart kick.

So yes Wales scrum. But it is unnecessarily complicated IMO

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's because in open play you don't have to kick. It is a choice. From a restart you must kick. So the outcomes are different. Open play kicking is discouraged by this law.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's a bit weird that it also applies to PK though

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Once the ball is kicked it IS open play, same as for a free kick. Once you kick the ball, play on.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The law book says “open play” so I don’t think it applies to PK.
I think he means a penalty is treated the same as a PK, such that the kicking team gets possession.

Law 19.1 says "An unplayable maul after kick in open play", and the definition of open play is "The period after a kick-off, restart kick, free-kick, penalty or set piece and before the next phase, or the period between phases of play, excluding when the ball is dead." Although the catch following a penalty kick is during open play, law 19.1 is focused on when the kick was actioned, not the catch.

I suppose one can argue this is reward for the kicking team, same way the kicking team gets the throw to the lineout from a penalty.

Since the Laws like to align and keep things simple 😏, a 50-22 does not apply at a kick-off or any type of restart kick (therefore does apply from a PK and FK), and a mark may not be claimed from a kick-off or a restart kick after a score (does apply from a PK and FK). If I'm interpreting this correctly, a 50-22 does not apply after a 22DO or GLDO if the ball was touched down, but a mark can be claimed because nobody scored, and I assume both a 50-22 and mark can be claimed from a 22DO or GLDO if the ball was made dead because nobody has touched it down (actually I assume this is not the case) :confused:
(Restart kick = The method of restarting play with a drop-kick after a score or a touch-down.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Kick in open play is the normal player catches the ball, and decides to kick it
- maul from one of these is unsuccessful, catching team get scrum

Kicks NOT in open play are restart kicks, PK and FKs
- maul from one of these kicks is unsuccessful, kicking team get the scrum