Maul moves into the in-goal....

Steve70

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
.... How long after maul has ended up in the in-goal is a reasonable time to try and ground the ball?

and presumably its held-up if not grounded?

I watched a county match at the end of last season, where the maul was allowed to roll into the in-goal and was allowed to continue for some time until it collapsed, but the ball was not grounded.

It it was half time and so play ended. One coach questioned the ref (who I know well) as to whether that would (if time had not expired) have been a scrum to the attacking team as it was held-up. The ref suggested that it would have been a scrum to defending team as it was an unsuccessful end to the maul and the attacking team had possession at the start of the maul.

I had had a quick chat at half time and suggested that surely there can be no maul in the in-goal, and we're supposed to give a reasonable time to try and score otherwise it's held-up in-goal?

the ref argued that no, it was a successful maul in the in-goal and he was right to allow the maul to develop in-goal. Doesn't sound right.....

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
17.5 says maul is over once it's crossed the goal line.

I'd give, held up attacking scrum (if time allowed :wink: ) 22.10 backs this up.

Last edited:

Steve70

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
What's a 'reasonable' time....?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
well when it comes to the maul, times of 5 secs are mentioned, so i'd suggest that was a reasonable amount of time, but of course based on what you have said with regards to it coming up to half time, I might allow a bit longer, but it would only be a few secs at most?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
A reasonable time to me is when play is still evolving, or while there's a reasonable chance of something (other than the ball being held up) happening, if you prefer. If the former maul is moving, I definitely wouldn't blow, but I'll blow pretty quickly after it turns into a pile of bodies, or remains stationary.

The ref was wrong about the defending scrum, though. The maul has successfully ended as soon as the ball crosses the goal line, so attacking scrum for held up in goal.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If everybody is standing up and there is no chance of it going to ground, then really quickly.

If the BC is close to the ground or heading downwards, I'll breathe a bit

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
If everybody is standing up and there is no chance of it going to ground, then really quickly.

If the BC is close to the ground or heading downwards, I'll breathe a bit

sound advice

For me, I usually blow whistle, then it gets grounded, and 10-15 players are staring at me with my "oh crap face"

This is known as FBI time. Fake Big Injury

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
sound advice

For me, I usually blow whistle, then it gets grounded, and 10-15 players are staring at me with my "oh crap face"

This is known as FBI time. Fake Big Injury
When you blow the whistle, players relax - hence the grounding. It's their problem, not yours.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agree with DocY. If it's still evolving or moving I'd wait. If it goes static or is driven back into FOP then held up, 5m attacking. If it's driven into touch-in-goal or dead ball then 22 DO. If it is stolen by defenders and emerges then play on and they can ground for the 22 or run it out.