[Maul] Maul moving forward (or backwards?)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In the Premiership you often hear the referee say "always going backwards" at a maul turnover scrum, similar to the one described.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
For me there is a bit of context to this and whether there is a contest for the ball. If green continue to drive, I would presume there were happy with that as the outcome. If the didn't, they could stop, but they might be trying to push it back so fast red cannot get the ball out and ultimately it will be an unsuccessful end and turnover ball. If the ball appears to be being contested, I might allow a little more time to see if it comes out on either side, but generally will be thinking of at least calling "once" and then "use it" or blowing for turnover ball if the team that took it in are not going forward.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If the maul is moving parallel to the touchline then why blow it up? I don't think we should get wrapped up in "forward". Forward for one will be backwards for the other.

If Blue form a maul 15m from their own goal but Red drive them back into their goal and the ball is then deemed 'held up' or is pushed dead what are you going to rule?

Do you think Red want the scrum at the 15m or the 5m?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Latest Society meeting gave us the following:

Forward means towards EITHER goal line.

So that's where we have to come from.