Maul / No Maul / Mess?

breako

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Reds play Blue.
At a Red lineout, Blues back off, Reds catch and look to form the maul. Reds realise there is no engagement from Blue so back off and drive forward without transferring the ball to the back. So ball carrier is in front with about 4 leaches on him.

Blues see Red driving forward so decided to low tackle. As the low tackle is happening ball is transferred to the back. Blue are tackling very low so no we have two things:
1. A maul. The ball carrier legally transfers ball as tackle is happening.
2. A tackler hanging off someone very low in the maul so is like a speed bump

If you call Maul very loudly, depending on how fast or slow the tackle happens it could like a collapse.
IF you don't call Maul, it's technically an accidental offside.

So how do you handle this one?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
First of all if the Blues back off away from the lineout they have left the lineout illegally. PK.

Second, one blue player tackling the ball carrier at the front and round the legs does not form a maul. It's just a tackle. It's only a maul if he is grabbed above the waist and by a player on his feet.

If red transfer it to the back at this point its either accidental offside or obstruction...unless they move the ball away immediately.

What would I do?
Assuming Blue didn't leave the lineout (so no PK there), at the point the ball is moved to the back after the attempted tackle I would call "use it". If they don't... Scrum for accidental offside.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
First of all if the Blues back off away from the lineout they have left the lineout illegally. PK.

Second, one blue player tackling the ball carrier at the front and round the legs does not form a maul. It's just a tackle. It's only a maul if he is grabbed above the waist and by a player on his feet.

If red transfer it to the back at this point its either accidental offside or obstruction...unless they move the ball away immediately.

What would I do?
Assuming Blue didn't leave the lineout (so no PK there), at the point the ball is moved to the back after the attempted tackle I would call "use it". If they don't... Scrum for accidental offside.

Makes sense and is the most likely development of the scenario.