missed penalty and ball in touch

Norfolk_Ref

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I'm having a real brain-fart here but...

If a penalty is kicked at goal and it misses and goes through the in-goal, is it an option of scrum/22 drop as normal

also,

from a penalty kicked out of hand for touch - if it goes out of pay and bends back into play, play continues?

I'm sorry, I know these are basic questions but after a bad game, i'm starting to question my basic sanity

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
22 drop out. There is no scrum back option for a failed PK or failed drop-goal attempt.

With the kick to touch, don't forget if the balls not being carried (yours wasn't) it's only in touch if it touches the touchline or anything over the touchline. Yours did neither so play on.

I'm sure most of us get brain farts at some time; I know I do.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I try to leave my brain in my kit bag...easier to referee rugby and fart that way.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Does the defending team have to be 10m from the mark or 10m from where the kick is taken, assuming penalty kick taken back further by kicking side? Suddenly flashing back to Saturday and think I might have been wrong!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Does the defending team have to be 10m from the mark or 10m from where the kick is taken, assuming penalty kick taken back further by kicking side?
10m from the mark.

A kicker can move back (on a line through the mark) if he wants to make the kick easier eg to give himself a better angle, but the opposition can't move forward too.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 21.7 (a)
Must run from the mark. The opposing team must immediately run towards their own goal line until they are at least 10 metres away from the mark for the penalty kick, or until they have reached their goal line if that is nearer the mark.[/LAWS]

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Excellent, thanks - I was right. Just had a horrible thought!