Mixed match?

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Funnily enough, I have played against 1 girl when under 14 and then a lot later in a social 10's tournament (adult) but never ref'ed this kind of game...

Thinking of it now, I reckon I wouldn't change anything in my game assessment: to be fair with her and all other players.

My 2 cents,
Pierre.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
She's playing in President's Grade.

Nuff said

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
We had a similar situation in high school rugby in Montreal this spring. A girl from one of the schools wanted to play on the boys U15 team at her school because there was no U15 girls team. She was given permission because her parents made it clear there would be lawyers involved and the Greater Montreal Athletic Association does not have the finances to fight that. I got involved because one of our vice-principals was on the relevant GMAA committee and wanted my opinion and asked me to look up what the IRB had to say, and because that team was our U15's first opponent this season. I don't know how many, if any, of the documents required by the IRB were submitted.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
guessing it's something like the "Extra A" team or similar...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And for those in the NH for whom it isn't "Nuff", what is "President's grade
"?

Usually over 35s, younger players by invitation
Social Grade
30 minute halves
Well known retired players often participate

In Premier Grade, you could end up playing against or with players like Dan Carter, Conrad Smith, Ryan Crotty etc
In President's Grade you could end up playing against or with players like Geoff Wilson, Josh Kronfeld, Anton Oliver, Grant Fox etc

I played Presidents Grade cricket about ten years ago (same sort of system) and ended up batting with Bevan Congdon, a NZ international cricketer from 1965 to 1978. He was in his mid-sixties at the time, and he could still smack a ball to the boundary and was still pretty quick running between the wickets.

ETA: After-matches in President's Grade are among the best I have been to. It varies from place to place, but everywhere I have been, the grade was very social.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My understanding of the RFULand regs is that mixed contact rugby is not allowed over the age of 12 (crossref ?)

Vets Rugby in England is usually pretty serious stuff and has fully competitive scrums and tackling, so is a bit from Presidents grade as described by Ian.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
She has been barred from playing.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I note it says she plays lock or #8, that would make the crutch bind interesting :wow: That said I also note they appear to be uncontested scrums, so maybe not an issue, but this is one of the reasons girls don't play mixed rugby after 12, it would be a minefield in the scrums :wink:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Rule No 1: think deeply before you speak to the media ... and then keep your mouth shut.