Montpellier vs. Toulon

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anyone else watching this match? What do you reckon about the new scrum laws in action here?

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Starts in 15 minutes here. I'm looking forward to seeing if they are doing any better with the crooked feeds than the ITM cup refs.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Buff, he missed a few, but overall not too bad.

Called "oui, neuf" a little too quickly for my liking, the scrum was moving around quite a lot

dickell

Post Likes
Buff, he missed a few, but overall not too bad.

Called "oui, neuf" a little too quickly for my liking, the scrum was moving around quite a lot

I thought Marchat was poor. As many collapses as under the old setup, and most put-ins were not straight. No worthwhile change from last season.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I missed the first few minutes, but the first scrum that I saw where the ball was actually put in didn't require a strike from the hooker.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I thought Marchat was poor. As many collapses as under the old setup, and most put-ins were not straight. No worthwhile change from last season.

surely the 20% depowered hit solves all those issues ! :sarc: BCM - were you watching?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
From what I remember there were a lot fewer scrum collapses on engagement, with the collapses coming later in the scrum.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

He was poor but I thought he missed fewer feeds than the first ITM cup game - at least pulled up a couple!

But yes agree, it wasn't brilliant overall - I was referring to not too bad on the scrum feed in comparison

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didn't see it but would like comment on games to have a few stats! Number of scrums, resets, collapses etc... Penalties and FK's and also comment on number where viewer (all entitled to a view) disagrees with ref!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didn't see it but would like comment on games to have a few stats! Number of scrums, resets, collapses etc... Penalties and FK's and also comment on number where viewer (all entitled to a view) disagrees with ref!

I'm watching the game for enjoyment, not to write a dissertation!

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I watched it from my hotel room less than 100km from the game itself. Paid particular attention to the scrums and don't recall a single clean one. Both teams must take the blame for steadfastly refusing to scrum within the laws

Plenty of pk and fk endings to scrums, same amount of collapses after the no-longer existant hit and don't recall any hooker actually hooking.

The usual elite-level mess in fact

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I'm watching the game for enjoyment, not to write a dissertation!
All the same, for some members to be critical of the referee without backing up point for point is a bit lightweight.

Match as it happened
1st First scrum 2 minutes into the game. Knock on Scrum Toulon on their on the 10m line
2nd Restart Montpellier knock on again in mid field
3rd scrum LO throw not straight Toulon with the put in.
Free kick given against them for "non respect des commandements"
4th -15 minutes into the game Free kick against Montpellier "La mêlée n'est pas jugée stable"
5th- Toulon take the scrum option " Montpellier penalised for collapsing
6th- 16 minutes into the game Monpellier player runs into the ref, scrum Toulon - collaspe - player injured.
7th - 18 minutes Toulon front row penalised for bring down the scrum
8th - 21 minutes Accidental offside against Montpellier player scrum Toulon (water break)
Sheridan penalised
9th - 28 minutes Toulon penalised Driven back on their own put-in
10th - 34 minutes Montpellier win the ball cleanly on their own put-in
11th Right on half time - Free kick to Toulon

12th Scrum 5 to Montpellier camped on the visitors line.
Rugby Rama article
Ainsi qu’en mêlée, où Sheridan et Chiocci ont été sanctionnés à six reprises.
13th - 60 minutes Scrum restart Toulon for the 6th time at fault "Chiocci a poussé vers l'axe"

Mid'Ol said:
Alors qu'il avait semblé dominateur en mêlée fermée durant ses matchs amicaux, Toulon a subi dans ce secteur face au pack de Montpellier. Pour preuve, à l'heure de jeu, les hommes de Bernard Laporte avaient perdu six introductions. Pour sept gagnées.
Source : Rugby Rama

After an hour of play Toulon had lost 6 put-ins for 7 scrums won.

17th scrum 74 minutes of play Montpellier win the ball with the shove.

(Another 3 of those scrums must have been scrummed down again. Journalists notes don't tally up to 17 scrums.) Andrew Sheridan came off after 50 minutes, having been put under pressure by 2 different looseheads.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
post script :

For those who are interested, here's this season's rogues gallery for the French league :

I think folks are being harsh with match referee Cedric Marchat, as pointed out in #11 Elite players need to put their hand up for their part in the blame.
126 matches reff'd in Top flight rugby, is a fair bit of match experience. He also admits that having been very unruly as a player, was one of the reasons he took up the whistle. By the way, this Marchat bloke works for the French railways, when not reffin'.

:chin: Out of interest, would anyone like to pick one of the 17 scrums in the game and say exactly what they themselves would have changed in the way the match referee managed that particular phase of play?

Last edited:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
By the way, this Marchat bloke works for the French railways, when not reffin'.

So he should have plenty of time to focus on his refereeing, as he must always be on strike! ;)

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Hi Adam,
Tell me about it ; I commute by train to work - c.8hours a week at their mercy.:shrug:
Having said that in the last 10 to 12 weeks, we've only had a fortnight of strikes. Though it was a general strike it was only followed by (70%) train drivers, and (60%) of conductors. Which meant that two thirds of SNCF staff worked thru' out. Or to put it another way, a minority of idiots caused a lot of inconvience, despite the best efforts of their work colleagues.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Returning from America, we flew via Iceland to Luxembourg, and had given ourselves the luxury of booking a first class sleeper from Brussels back to London. Unfortunately the train went via Dunkirk, and there was a 24-hour train strike, so we ended up overnight with two small children on a regular passenger ferry and no berths. They managed to sleep on the benches in the restaurant after it closed, but we scarcely managed a wink.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Operation Dynamo - the insider view