motorbike gloves

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
I posted many months ago re bike info and their seemed to be a good number of bikers, with some really useful info, so thanks.

Well I purchased my Triumph Bonneville, great fun, but am saving very hard for a 1200GS, so I can visit my family in Marseille, well that's my excuse.

My current gloves are rubbish in the cold, came up from Chichester the other morn and had to stop 3 times to thaw out the appendegies, not good.
Are electric gloves the way to go or can anyone recommend suitable non electric types. Tried inner gloves, hopless,

A beer or two is waiting at the bar of a well known West London club for any person providing the solution, barring mothballing the bike for the winter, no chance!

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was never allowed a bike, too many of my contemporaries bought the farm at a young age including one who left his head behind on a lamp post outside the MG car factory while attempting to negotiate the corner at a silly speed.

I drive the safety boat for my local sailing club and use a thickish pair of neoprene diving gloves which keep my fingers quite warm for a couple of hours even in otherwise miserable conditions. Mind you, they won't offer much protection should you fall off.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
as a former 365 motorcyclist who didn't care what he looked like on the
M4 in February....

1st stop; a fairing that actually gets the wind off your hands (has anyone ever improved on the BMW R100RS or RT in this regard?) and/or some of those hideous bar mounted muffs like Motrax Handlebar Muffs which do work incredibly well

2nd stop; mittens so each finger shares the warmth of its neighbour rather than gloves, and wear with silk gloves under

3rd stop; electric bar grips rather than electric gloves

4th stop; thinsulate gloves times two pairs (one on one spare pair) and if one gets damp swap 'em.

5th stop MTFU :D

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
A GS you say? Here's a quick pic of my 1150 GS taken somewhere in Bavaria back in 2008. The gloves (you can see them on the panniers) are from Hein Gericke and are issued to Police bikers so they must be good. No idea how much they cost as they were a present. Go for the heated grips option anyway - its fantastric. ;) Not sure about the 1200 GS, but certainly the 1150 GS has 2 settings - warm and stun. TBH when set to stun mode, they can get uncomfortably hot without gloves.

Never owned a pair of these myself, but I was leant a pair once and friends of mine swear by Alpinestar gloves, so they're probably worth a look. I must say I was very impressed with them, but they're not cheap.

Attachments

• BAVARIAN TRIP. KULMBACH 2008. X. BAVARIAN TWISTIES.JPG
    BAVARIAN TRIP. KULMBACH 2008. X. BAVARIAN TWISTIES.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
thinsulate gloves

yep. as someone who has reynauds (loosely translated as "david is soft"). the thinsulate gloves are wonderful!

if only they did mitts i could ref in :)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The gloves (you can see them on the panniers) are from Hein Gericke and are issued to Police bikers so they must be good.

If only for punching G20 protesters!:wow: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The solution is simples.

Buy a car, turn the heater on full blast.

Revel in the luxurious warmth as you listen to some good music, with cruise control on, maybe sipping a nice cup of cappuccino :clap:

After a while as you sit there in your t-shirt, marveling at the stupidity of the bikers you pass, huddled over their petrol tanks to try and gain some pitiful respite from the driving wind and rain, you can wiggle your toes in the warmth around them and consider turning the heating down so you don't get too hot. :p

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Buy a car .... Revel in the luxurious warmth as you listen to some good music, with cruise control on, maybe sipping a nice cup of cappuccino .... After a while as you sit there in your t-shirt, marveling at the stupidity of the bikers you pass .....
I've just spotted a flaw in your grand plan Mr E. I think the last time a car passed me on the bike was back in 2001. :D

When I was doing a bike course, I was encouraged to go out on Bank Holiday weekends etc, find the busiest roundabouts / road works etc / traffic jams in the area and practice my filtering. I think my record was filtering down 4 miles of stationary motorway traffic. I put the occasional blast of the horn down to bike-envy. Still love the feeling even today. :wink:

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
and practice my filtering. Still love the feeling even today. :wink:

Is that the bit where you weave in and out of the traffic; just prior to going under the wheels of an articulated lorry that didn't expect to find you undertaking him :nono:

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
handlebar muffs are OK at slower speeds as at a fast pace the wind can push them into the clutch and brake levers causing wear and poorer fuel consumption. Fitted a guard frame would prevent this. Muffs look awful but couriers often use them. Heated grips are also good.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
hi get yourself a set of oxford hot wraps they wrap around the grips and work from you battery with a seperate switch
You can take the wraps of in the summer without spoiling your handle bar grips I have a set on my blade and they are superb if any thing your hands get to hot check them out on the oxfrord web site