Moulded football boots

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This issue has come up once again up here and I thought I would ask how you guys deal with it. Do you allow football boots with a moulded stud under the toe? I don't mean a round moulded stud the same shape as a screw in, to me that would be a no-no. I'm talking about something wider, either like a blade across the front of the shoe, or flatter and rounder like a typical soccer cleat, rather than a round stud right in the middle.
Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

Reindeer Flotilla

Referees in America
Post Likes
By football, do you mean gridiron? If it's a U19 match and it's a tiny moulded stud, and not metal, I'll let it go.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I check that type of boot for sharp edges but see no reason to stop them playing boots like that. It's my job to stop those boots going onto bodies though.

BurritoKing

Referees in America
Post Likes
Law 4.3 (b) "Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp edges or ridges."

Based on this, we have allowed moulded cleats. The worst thing I have ever seen was a high school kid who had cut the front moulded cleat from his new cleats. He said his coach told him to do it. I suggested his coach buy him a new pair of cleats!