Multiple Sanctions.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Just a quick one, which I've been meaning to check on for months. I was thinking the other day about offences with multiple / alternative sanctions eg:

• Late tackle = Kick here or Kick there.
  • LO offences = LO or Scrum.
  • Offside = PK or Scrum.
  • Faulty KO or restart = Kick again or scrum or possible LO.
I'm pretty sure there are more than that and it's driving me nuts trying to think what they are, and I've got 20 minutes to kill and thought I would ask. You've not let me down yet. :biggrin:

Last edited:

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Kick the ball dead or TIG. Scrum or 22

Knocked on directly into touch - LO or Scrum ( not sure if your LO Offences covers this )

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Knock on into touch. Scrum or lineout.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Incorrect drop out.

Late charging the kicker - though the options are seldom given

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I had someone once, ask me if he could choose where the penatly kick could be from in the case where there were multiple ( 3 ) chasers all in front of the kicker. He wanted to be nearer the touchline as they wanted to kick to touch.
At the time , I wasnt 100% but I said something like "No. It is the player who was nearest you or a scrum over where it was kicked".
Anyone know ?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Incorrect drop out.

Late charging the kicker - though the options are seldom given

Late charging on someone calling the mark

However,

"Where the penalty kick is taken. If the infringing player is onside, the penalty kick is taken at the place of the infringement. If the infringing player is offside, the penalty kick is taken at the place of the offside line (Law 11 offside and onside in General Play.)"

Did we ever determine where that offside line was as I think it was raised as a query in another thread. Law 11 is not actually clear on it or so I am now believing? there is no offside line actually defined anywhere directly in law 11 and even the 10 metre law mentions a scrum option at the point the ball was last played and not a kick so a bit confusing!

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I had someone once, ask me if he could choose where the penatly kick could be from in the case where there were multiple ( 3 ) chasers all in front of the kicker. He wanted to be nearer the touchline as they wanted to kick to touch.
At the time , I wasnt 100% but I said something like "No. It is the player who was nearest you or a scrum over where it was kicked".
Anyone know ?
How about?
[LAWS]11.4 Offside under the 10-metre law
(g) If more than one player is offside and moving forward after a team-mate has kicked ahead, the place of infringement is the position of the offside player closest to an opponent waiting for the ball, or closest to where the ball lands.[/LAWS]

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Just a quick one, which I've been meaning to check on for months. I was thinking the other day about offences with multiple / alternative sanctions eg:

• Faulty KO or restart = Kick again or scrum or possible LO.
I'm pretty sure there are more than that and it's driving me nuts trying to think what they are, and I've got 20 minutes to kill and thought I would ask. You've not let me down yet. :biggrin:

Only in 15s

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Late charging on someone calling the mark

However,

"Where the penalty kick is taken. If the infringing player is onside, the penalty kick is taken at the place of the infringement. If the infringing player is offside, the penalty kick is taken at the place of the offside line (Law 11 offside and onside in General Play.)"

Did we ever determine where that offside line was as I think it was raised as a query in another thread. Law 11 is not actually clear on it or so I am now believing? there is no offside line actually defined anywhere directly in law 11 and even the 10 metre law mentions a scrum option at the point the ball was last played and not a kick so a bit confusing!

not a multiple option, I am now realising, but an important question all the same!