Must have a receiver?! 2014 law book change

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No doubt we've all heard someone yell "They need to have a receiver, sir!"
And of course we all said 'bollocks' in our heads as we play on.

Call me slow but I've just realised the new 2014 law book has changed the wording of the receiver positioning law!
From "Where the receiver must stand. The receiver must stand at least 2 metres towards that player’s goal line from that player’s team-mates who are lineout players and between 5 and 15 metres from the touchline until the lineout begins.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line"

To "Where the receiver must stand. If a team uses a receiver, then that player, must be positioned at least 2m back from team mates in the lineout, and between the 5m and 15m lines, until the lineout begins."

Hopefully that will clear it up for those confused!:clap::clap:
Or is there a wording problem I've missed and new confusion will reign?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
You're assuming they read the lawbook. :biggrin:

I wish the diagram would show 2 metres minimum.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
At the Somerset Society 125 years anniversary dinner on Thursday evening 2014 Law Books were on each table.

Nigel's face beamed out on the glossy cover.

Ed Morrison and Tony Spreadbury looked very interested in this piece of literature that had never been seen before.:biggrin:

BFG was quick to question Spreaders on Youth Variations in preparation for both of their schools matches Saturday morning.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thought they made excellent firelighters?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Did anyone else spot any wording changes or improved wording in the 'good book'?

I note that the change in wording isn't 'highlighted' by IRB? Why not? (Well not in the app version at least)

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You're assuming they read the lawbook. :biggrin:
True. But if you had to, the old wording could still be a difficult task to convince others (that struggled with logic) that the receiver is not a must. The new wording is quite clear, so all you need to do now is show them the written law and they will get it. No argument over double negatives and exclusionary English!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I note that the change in wording isn't 'highlighted' by IRB? Why not? (Well not in the app version at least)

Ignore that comment. I just saw that it was highlighted in the book....pity they didn't highlight it in the app! (I tend to use the app).

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Did anyone else spot any wording changes or improved wording in the 'good book'? d' by IRB?
There is a link somewhere on this site to an approx 8 page "Word" document which lists the main changes for this season.

I printed it off months ago but only read it approximately two weeks ago.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
There is a link somewhere on this site to an approx 8 page "Word" document which lists the main changes for this season.

I printed it off months ago but only read it approximately two weeks ago.

Did it include changes made in the online version made in about July this year?
I made the comment at our July or August meeting to let our members know that if they were locked into a Law discussion at a ground/club house etc., to make sure they have the book with them in their kit bag because if they were being questioned by someone accessing the LoTG online, there were a few updates online.
I expect that these changes were made so they would show up in the printed law books for this season for you guys up north.

3.5 is a case in point

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Did it include changes made in the online version made in about July this year? ... 3.5 is a case in point
I think it does. Now that I've had a chance to dig it out, it is actually an 18 page document titled

"Annex Five.
Laws of the game.
Implementation date: May 14 2014.

The full amended laws will be available on www.irb.com for download from June 1 2014"

Last edited: