New Law 3.5

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
Morning all,

Just checking your reading of something under the newly (and generally helpfully) codified laws. Law now is very clear that you can replace 3 FR and 5 other players. Given this, a couple of scenarios:

Starting TH is replaced (tactical). Replacement TH gets injured. We know that starting TH can return. Does this count as 2 of your 3 FR replacements?

Starting TH is replaced (tactical). All 8 replacements have been made. Replacement TH gets injured. I believe starting TH can still return?

Cheers

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hi Dave

If you are talking about interchanges (rather than subs and replacements)
then EVERY time a player leaves the pitch and a different player comes on, that counts as an interchange. Regardless of who it is or the reason.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Starting TH is replaced (tactical). All 8 replacements have been made. Replacement TH gets injured. I believe starting TH can still return?
I would say yes.

IIRC the lawbook mentions maximum "substitutions" and in this example it's a "replacement" ie to replace an injured FR player. Don't forget that tactically substituted player can come back on

1. To replace a player with a bleeding or open wound or
  2. To replace a FR player forced off the pitch ie injured, YCd or RCd

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
Thanks guys. I'm not talking interchanges, but normal substitutions/replacements.

I agree with you Taff. Hence, any thoughts on the first scenario? I would imagine that, given the second scenario effectively results in an extra change, in the first scenario, the TH coming back on should not count as one of your 3 FR replacements (or indeed one of your 5 other replacements).