New record

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
You assume that the tiebreaker is the gold standard, though. A tiebreaker at the end of a season can favour a team with more depth as injuries take less toll, or a second team who can call up a couple of first team players whose seasons are over, not to mention one-offs such as weddings (planned for after the regular season) affecting one team, etc. H2H generally gives two points randomly through the season, and an extra competitive edge to keep the level up throughout the season against the best-matched opponents you'll meet. Less "well, we're two games ahead, we can afford to throw this one as the rest of the season is easy."
It retains the major defect of punishing weaker sides to the maximum, which is more likely to turn people off playing than any defects in H2H.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Many years ago, I was assessed on a match with a score line of 102-0. The assessor’s comments: “The best the referee could hope for was to give 30 people a bit of exercise”.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Less "well, we're two games ahead, we can afford to throw this one as the rest of the season is easy."

I never said that points is the gold standard. IMO, the best way to determine who is better is to have them play. When that is not feasible (tournaments, ties among 3+ teams, etc), and you have to use a paper tiebreaker, my point is that using one that looks at the entire body of work is better than one that arbitrarily double-counts one game.

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Having counted us all in, the skipper announced he and his vice-captain were not available for the afternoon away game. Then, having slapped me on the back and said 'Tim will be leading you today', off they went*.
I bravely led the team into RL territory where we enjoyed a (still) club record defeat 94 - 0. Thanks!

*Turned out they had been given tickets for Turf Moor.

mark.lucas

Post Likes
168-0 is my record.

After the first 10 minutes I didn't even bother heading past the 10 metre line at the restart as what was about to happen was quite clear.

And amazingly the winning team managed to score 84 points in both halves.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
While playing in College, my team beat Hobart College 90-0. Everyone, including our 2 subs scores tries. Well everyone except me.:sad:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Highest friendly score I have had was 134-7.

Highest in a comp game was 65-48 I think, something around there.