New York Sevens

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'll be flying back later today from NY having ref'd in the Sevens here on Saturday. I was going to wait till I got back to report in but Greg has already been nagging me!!!

8:20 am start - my first match at 8:40 - so up at 6:30 for the Subway and cab journey to Randall's Island.

The pitches are at the southern end. A couple of quality artificial grass rugby pitches, several artificial grass soccer pitches with post attachments and a couple of grass soccer pitches.

http://www.newyorkrugby.com/images/stories/ny7s/7smap2009.png

Over 100 teams spread across 10 competitions including Premier Men and Women, Social, Universities and Colleges.

All matches were allocated refs before the day and not many had to be rearranged on the day. VEry well run indeed. Most of us got 6 matches plus TJ-ing SF/FInals if we wanted to.

There was a refs social get-together the night before which was a chance to check local conventions. The only thing I picked up that was different was they allow a SH to join a line-out before the ball is thrown in. I'd seen this happening regularly in some 15-a-side games I'd watched the previous weekend and thought it odd.

My first game was Toronto Police - there were a lot of teams down from Canada. Good match to kick off my day and no problems. I noticed the game was being videoed and the cameraman spotted me late in the day to give me his card. I'll be looking at his website and prices.

Second game was straight after and on the same pitch - good quality university game. Just a couple of marginal 'no arms' tackles and a habit I came across several times during the day of players flat on the floor batting a bobbling ball away.

I than had a mixture of Mens/Colleges/Ladies before a SF of the Men's Colleges (they tried to give everyone a Final or Semi). Top match with the loser could have won if one of their players hadn't been too greedy to touch down behind the posts and didn't notice he'd stepped out of play.

Not much to as TJ for a SF and Final, but good to be involved.

A memorable day in a great setting with the Manhattan skyline in the background. A bit cold at times due to a strong wind coming in off the river, but bright and dry all day.

Most of the 40 refs met up for dinner at an Irish bar near TImes Sq. Most went on after to the players party.

I can't remember who on this forum mentioned the NY Sevens a year or two back, but I'm very grateful for the idea :eek:)

Anyone going next year?

..... I'm sure if forgotten a few things and will be writing a separate post about a fellow forum member when I have sorted out certain photos I took of him!!!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've mentioned to ExH that I'll probably make the trek across the flyover states to the contest next year. Sounds good fun.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
he he, not heard them called that before.

that's quite funny!

Rumour has it that there are other states as well as California and New York and some of these fall in between Los Angeles and New York:wow:

I don't believe it personally:)