[Tackle] No 'wrap' (grasp) signal

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In compiling an instructional of referee signals I could not find a signal for "no grasp in the tackle".

Any suggestions?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
There is no way the excellent copy editor employed by WR would not have let the laws go out missing a signal.
They would have created a list of all the laws invoke a penalty sanction and matched that up to the list of signals.
Or they might have found the key to the gin cabinet.

Seriously the only signal I can see for a dengerous tackle is the high tackle neck tap.
Which does not cover failure to bind, chop tackles etc.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Also, no signal for 'tip tackle'. 'Shoulder charge' and 'Tip tackle' really need a secondary signal. Anyone have unofficial ones?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I would either tap my own shoulder, indicating use of the shoulder only, or give a wrapping signal - both arms sweeping forward (like crab pincers?), indicating that was what he had failed to do.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
For a shoulder charge I just mime a shoulder charge by leaning in and simulating it with my shoulder.

For a tip tackle I do exactly what Dickie suggests.

Never had any issues with either.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
In compiling an instructional of referee signals I could not find a signal for "no grasp in the tackle". Any suggestions?
I thought it was the same signal as the one for "Not releasing" in a tackle .... but in reverse.

That's what I've been using and I've seen others using it. I just assumed it was the official one. :chin:

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
How about a signal for kicking the ball forward out of a ruck? This happened to me on Saturday. Short of sticking my leg out oki koki style wasn't obvious what signal to give.
I think there is a clear case for world rugby to add a few signals to our repertoire to make decisions clearer for refs, players and spectators

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
How about a signal for kicking the ball forward out of a ruck? This happened to me on Saturday. Short of sticking my leg out oki koki style wasn't obvious what signal to give.
I think there is a clear case for world rugby to add a few signals to our repertoire to make decisions clearer for refs, players and spectators
[LAWS]15.16. Players must not [...] e. [FONT=fs_blakeregular]Kick, or attempt to kick, the ball out of a ruck.[/FONT][/LAWS]
No mention of "forward".

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I use the oki koki signal. Gives me a nice leg shake together rid of some lactic the same time!