Northampton v Saracens Semi Final

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Best link I can get at the moment: choose the 5 minute highlights of the game.

http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/?WT.mc_id=eplayer_hdr

In the second half - at 5:23 on the replay - Saracens score a try from a maul set up after an attacking lineout. What are your collective thoughts on how the front group of white players seem to break away from the ball carrier before he reconnects with them to score the try?

The first time I saw it realtime on this replay I thought "broken away, ergo truck and trailer".

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
What time does the supposed disconnection occur?, it all looks 'about as good as it gets' to me.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Looks like they stay more or less bound to the main pack. Number 21(?) has a loose bind as he turns, but I don't think it's peeling off, is it?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Marginal players binding in front of ball carrier at the end but look at northhamptons penalty try about 2.30 in the clip. Blatant binding in front of the ball carrier by a guy in a bright red scrum cap, right in front of the ref and as usual in showbiz rugby completely ignored

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I've attempted some screen shots:

ScreenShot018.jpgScreenShot019.jpgScreenShot020.jpgScreenShot021.jpg

It looks like whilst the disconnect directly in front of the ball carrier occurs (final screen shot), the left of the forward pod (Billy Vunipola I think) still has contact with a player who is the only player in front of the ball carrier but still in contact with him.

So in this case, at no point has the forward pod totally disengaged with the ball carrier, so play on.

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I've attempted some screen shots:

View attachment 3226View attachment 3227View attachment 3228View attachment 3229

It looks like whilst the disconnect directly in front of the ball carrier occurs (final screen shot), the left of the forward pod (Billy Vunipola I think) still has contact with a player who is the only player in front of the ball carrier but still in contact with him.

So in this case, at no point has the forward pod totally disengaged with the ball carrier, so play on.

Do they need to be bound to the BC, surely they only must all be bound or caught in the maul?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Looks fine to me.

They are wheeling the maul, for which there is no offence and a clever attacking ploy.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Hey Irish ref, can you do screenshots of this maul at 2.30, might spark a little more debate