Not 5 at the lineout

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
This at a school match today. Throw at lineout not gone 5 metres. I give a free kick on the 5 m line but feel it should probably have been on the 15 m line. Comments please

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
This at a school match today. Throw at lineout not gone 5 metres. I give a free kick on the 5 m line but feel it should probably have been on the 15 m line. Comments please
From memory ALL sanctions for LO offences are on the 15m line.

Why did the ball fail to go 5m though?

• If it was due to a cock-up by the thrower, then you give the option of a LO / scrum.
  • If it was a cock-up by the catcher (eg running into the 5m channel) then it's a FK.

Last edited:

Diego

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
From memory ALL sanctions for LO offences are on the 15m line.

Why did the ball fail to go 5m though?

• If it was due to a cock-up by the thrower, then you give the option of a LO / scrum.
  • If it was a cock-up by the catcher (eg running into the 5m channel) then it's a FK.

[LAWS]19.7 INCORRECT THROW-IN

(a) If the throw-in at a lineout is incorrect, the opposing team has the choice of throwing in at a
lineout or a scrum on the 15-metre line. If they choose the throw-in to the lineout and it is
again incorrect, a scrum is formed. The team that took the first throw-in throws in the ball.[/LAWS]

and

[LAWS]19.2 QUICK THROW-IN

(e) An incorrect quick throw-in occurs when:
• The ball is thrown towards the opponents goal line, or
• The ball is thrown in ahead of the line of touch, or
• The ball is thrown in on or behind the goal line, or
• Tha ball touches the ground or a player before reaching the 5 metre line, or
• The thrower steps into the field-of-play when throwing the ball.

The opposing team’s choices are to elect to throw in at either:
• a lineout where the quick throw was attempted, or
• a scrum on the 15-metre line at that place.

f they, too, throw in the ball incorrectly at the lineout, a scrum is formed on the 15 metre
line. The team that first threw in the ball throws in the ball at the scrum[/LAWS]

and I believe the free kick option only apply in this scenario:

[LAWS]19.2 QUICK THROW-IN

(h) At a quick throw-in, a player must not prevent the ball being thrown in 5 metres. Sanction: Free Kick on 15-metre line
[/LAWS]

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Taffy, I agree with Taff. You need to ask why it failed to make it to the 5m line. If it would have got there under its own steam but a player intervened, then that player has prevented it going 5m - FK. If the thrower lost his grip and the throw was so feeble that it could not travel 5m under its own steam, then scrum.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

you were incorrect to award on the 5m, its on the 15m ,

see Law 19.10(h)

[LAWS](h)
Blocking the throw-in. A lineout player must not stand less than 5 metres from the touchline. A lineout player must not prevent the ball being thrown in 5 metres.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line[/LAWS]

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Taffy, I agree with Taff.
You need to ask why it failed to make it to the 5m line.
If it would have got there under its own steam but a player intervened, then that player has prevented it going 5m - FK.
If the thrower lost his grip and the throw was so feeble that it could not travel 5m under its own steam, then scrum.

Aside from Foul Play, all other lineout 'errors' result in a 15m recommencement (unless another Lineout option is taken) never a 5m.

throw 'having insufficient distance, or bouncing first' then its an " incorrect throw" , so "Options"exist.